Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: my first trip to Bass Pro Shop: OT

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Today I made my first visit to our new local Bass Pro Shop in nearby East Peoria, IL. Talk about being overwhelmed with a store with an incredible number of choices of "nearly everything" this is it!  I really was impressed! Just for the record this happens to be their 3rd largest store in their chain and it is MASSIVE!

BTW just to keep this post somewhat egg related they sell a ceramic cooker called a Browning for $400 and I inspected it, but am very glad it did not follow me home!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    The one near me has some nice rubs - easiest place to get Plowboys rubs for me. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    They are fun.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    We have five of them in Texas.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • It's a fun store to wander around.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Have a Bass Pro right up the street from me.  Fun place to walk around and shop.  Another five minutes past it is Jungle Jim's.  I spend a lot of money at both places.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Not to "one up" Bass Pro Shops but Cabela's is light years ahead of them in terms of quality and "wow factor".  If you ever get to Cabela's, you'll be impressed.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited November 2013
    http://www.junglejims.com/

It's an International Food Market that has an amazing beer/wine selection and butcher/seafood selection among other things.
    I'd highly recommend anybody traveling in the area to stop by it.  Give yourself plenty of time, the place is huge and has more than you can imagine.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Got 1 here in Macon, GA with a distribution center. they're higher than most places on everything, but they have a lotta good rubs you can't get anywhere other than online
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    The last time I walked into Bass Pro Shop with my son he felt compelled to quote the movie Field of Dreams and ask "Is this heaven?"

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    @lbc dawg. In Macon here as well. Live up the road from the bps here. Good thing about the distribution center is the outlet part where they sell overstocks and returns. Can score a deal in their on occasion
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • You need to go to the older Cabela's for the wow factor.  The newer ones I've been in while nice, do not compare to the older bigger ones.  We happen to be getting both within 20 miles of me in the next year or so.  Can't wait.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• I just bought my foodsaver from one in San Antonio. I found out by accident that they give a 10% discount for military in uniform. And even 15% on specific days of the month.
    Gittin' there...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    YEMTrey said:
    http://www.junglejims.com/

It's an International Food Market that has an amazing beer/wine selection and butcher/seafood selection among other things.
    I'd highly recommend anybody traveling in the area to stop by it.  Give yourself plenty of time, the place is huge and has more than you can imagine.

I stopped in the Jungle Jim's outside of cincinnati... I'd give my left one for a store like that close to me.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    We have an Academy and Dicks Sporting Good down the road from us. Bass Pro Shop is worth the extra 40 minute drive when I know they have something I want/need/reallywant.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• RRP
    edited November 2013
    We have an Academy and Dicks Sporting Good down the road from us. Bass Pro Shop is worth the extra 40 minute drive when I know they have something I want/need/reallywant.
    Our community also has Gander Mountain and Dicks plus some lesser named chains and a family owned store that has been in biz forever. Just the same even with this huge BPS being the 800 pound gorilla in the room everybody seems to be holding their own. I am still amazed by the beautiful, natural looking fresh water acquarium stocked with numerous species of huge game fish. There was even a 50 pound or more blue catfish that was impressive let alone massive bass, and even an ugly 3 foot gar.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Yes, our kids love the 'fishies' at BPS.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    edited November 2013
    I went to a newer Cabelas in Louisville the other day and it was really nice.  I also visited the original one in Sidney, Nebraska - it was a dump.  Was not impressed at all.   We have 2 or 3 Bass Pros here in Alabama and they are all really good.  The closest thing we have is Academy and Gander Mountain here in Auburn.  Gander Mtn has an awesome selection of guns though!
    Opelika, AL
  • Bass Pro Shop was coming to Augusta, GA. The day after they made the announcement Cabelas announced they were also coming. Last month Bass Pro Shop bailed on us. 

At least Cabelas will be open in the spring.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RRP
    Bass Pro Shop was coming to Augusta, GA. The day after they made the announcement Cabelas announced they were also coming. Last month Bass Pro Shop bailed on us. 

To paraphrase a Paul Harvey line...I bet there is a whole helluva lot more to that story! LOL
  • RRP said:
    Bass Pro Shop was coming to Augusta, GA. The day after they made the announcement Cabelas announced they were also coming. Last month Bass Pro Shop bailed on us. 

To paraphrase a Paul Harvey line...I bet there is a whole helluva lot more to that story! LOL
    You are right RRP. It was alleged that at the last minute BPS tried to shake the county down to the tune of $10 million. 

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Not to "one up" Bass Pro Shops but Cabela's is light years ahead of them in terms of quality and "wow factor".  If you ever get to Cabela's, you'll be impressed.
    We don't have much choice in the bay area.  The closest Cabelas is in Reno, NV and the closest Bass Pro is about 90 miles away.  Is there really that much difference between the two?
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Love Cabelas, picked up my 14.5" WSM there a few weeks ago!  You can get lost in that store ...
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

Can't stand going to Bass Pro ,Cabela's or Gander Mnt. Every time I go it cost me money.

Got a nice grinder at Cabela's when they opened an Outpost store in Saginaw ,MI.

Ammo is expensive at GM.

Will wander to them this weekend AGAIN.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI