Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven - Cast iron or Porcelain Covered

I am looking at getting a DO for chilis, stews, some breads and deserts.    Straight up cast iron such as Lodge, or should I consider a porcelain covered one.   My thoughts are cast iron straight up, but wanted some other thoughts/input.  Thanks
In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I'm a clutz, so I like CI 'cause I can't chip the finish. Porcelain is easy to clean, and is preferred for oven use, but not for us rough and tumble not too gentle eggers... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Probably either... I have 2 lodge.. I use them a lot.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I would get one of each if possible. The black cast iron is great for browning meat, veggies, making deep dish pizza. The enameled cast iron is good for stews and braises because it is easier to clean.
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    WIll the porcelain clean up from the smoke?
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • yes i have the le creuset but they are expenisve... i think they are well worth it. I use both and i would spend the extra money over again for the le creuset over the CI
    Beaufort, SC
  • yes they clean up after smoke pretty easily. Most people soak in soap but some wipe soap on outside in a thin coat to peel off after cook ( IMO that creates a superheated chemical that is not wanted in my food, but not sure it actually does anything negatively though.)
    Beaufort, SC
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    marshal's has the Le Creuset Dutch Ovens for $150. Pricy but about $100 off retail
    XL BGE
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The general thinking is that you shouldn't us CI for acidic sauces. The iron gives up it's seasoning and leaves a bitter taste in the food. I don't have an opinion on this but I do most of my high acid cooks in the le Creuset

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• txav8r
    I saw some nice sized DO at Costco, they were a porcelain on CI.  I wondered if I could use them in the egg, because it was nice with a lid, and only $29. 
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I prefer the enameled cause they clean up easier. I saw a 6 qt lodge enameled at tj maxx the other day for $59.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited October 2013
    I prefer using the CI in the egg so I don't have to worry about getting smoke off. I think cleaning CI is about the easiest thing ever. If it's really caked then I'll let it soak and scrub with a flat bamboo spatula. Walah.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Enameled cast iron is fine for acidic food. Lodge enameled cast iron is a good value for use on BGE.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Great input. After dinner, I road with SWMBO to Marshall's and found a 4.5qt Lodge CI Enamel coated. At 39.99 it made the journey home. I think there is probably a regular one in my future as well.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • yes they clean up after smoke pretty easily. Most people soak in soap but some wipe soap on outside in a thin coat to peel off after cook ( IMO that creates a superheated chemical that is not wanted in my food, but not sure it actually does anything negatively though.)
    Beaufort, SC
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I have a cuisinart 5.5 quart enamel . it's my favorite. It browns meat like crazy.here is some bread I've baked in it.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have a CI 7qrt that I bought in 2006 and use it about every weekend during the winter months Enameled has never crossed my mind, enameled are to pretty for smoking. IMO

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • txav8r
    bo31210 smaller one.  It was $79.  I have a pot roast on the egg using eggcentrics pot roast recipe.  Can't wait!  Drinking the cab I bought to flavor it too!
  • I have 2 cast iron ones from Academy Sports that aren't the Lodge.  They are about half the price of the Lodge, and seem to be working fine.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I mentioned this  another thread recently- consider the Tramontina enameled DO.  Cooks Illustrated best buy a few years ago.  Fraction of the cost of Le Creuset.  Maybe cheaper than Lodge too,  but I haven't checked prices  recently. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Has anyone had any experience with an aluminum Dutch oven? Saw them at Wegmans recently and wondered if they would work in the egg.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    hapster said:

Has anyone had any experience with an aluminum Dutch oven? Saw them at Wegmans recently and wondered if they would work in the egg.

I don't see why not. My parents have one and it goes in the oven or on the stove just fine.
  • txav8r
    Well...OMG...that is all I can say.  While none of that does justice, I can only offer that not only has the egg been a success and a great asset to our cooking asenal, my wife has raved about every meal I have done!  Tonight, she did the gravy for me as I cleaned up.  I have to say, the enamel coated cast iron was well worth the purchase price!  It cleaned up just like new.  I did eggcentrics recipe as mentioned above.  I selected a cab that was maybe over the top for a sauce, but I drank the rest!!!  My wife only got a taste, and she is not a big consumer of vino or any other libation, so no worries.  But the pot roast was perfect, the potatoes, onions, carrots, extra garlic cloves, were all perfect.  My wife took the mushrooms I cut up, and the liquid from the cook, and made the gravy.  I had used a Chateau St Michelle Cab Sav for the stock, and to lubricate the cook, along with a Artero Fuente Bauza Pyramid...this is what came out the other side.  Unbelievable...again!
  • hapster

hapster said:

I don't see why not. My parents have one and it goes in the oven or on the stove just fine.
    Thanks... I might pick one up. They have a 6 or 7 qt for $80. They are enameled on the outside and non stick in the inside.
  • txav8r
    sorry, still getting the hang of this forum.  It wouldn't let me edit the photo that pasted sideways...I deleted and here it is correctly posted.
  • hapster
    txav8r said:

sorry, still getting the hang of this forum.  It wouldn't let me edit the photo that pasted sideways...I deleted and here it is correctly posted.

Nice looking cook!
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have Emerils DO and use it mostly for Chili and Baked Beans works great and have never experienced any acidic taste. 

Johns Creek, Georgia