Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What the heck meat did I buy???

A few weeks ago I picked up 2 briskets (I thought) from Restaurant Depot; cooked one and froze the other.  I pulled the frozen one out today in preparation for a weekend cook, and I noticed that the label read Superior Angus Beef Bottom Round Flat.  Uhhhhhhhh.... the first one I cooked was clearly a brisket, but I don't recall focusing on the label.  This time around I'm afraid that some other cut found its way into the pile of briskets that I picked through at RD.

So what is this cut?  How do I cook it?  If I'm planning on cooking brisket, can I treat this meat the same way, or should I go out and buy an actual brisket? 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited November 2013
    I'd go out and buy a brisket if that's what you want. The cut you are talking about comes from the outer rear leg of the cow. Very lean. Might be better to braise or stew it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• batboy
    batboy Posts: 26

Well I bought the thing, so I might as well cook it! 

I'm thinking about using the Travis Method for this 10.5lb Bottom Round Flat.  If it's lean like Griffin says, I figure the braising aspect of the "Method" will help.  Anyone disagree?  Any guesses as to time?  Travis and others report 8-10 hours for 10-12 pounds.  Any reason this cut won't be the same?  Also, I assume the brisket doneness temps of 195-205 will work here too?  Any nay-sayers?

• It would make pretty good pastrami.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

You want to look at this first. How to cut (separate) and trim it. Seems knowledgeable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aTp-6JWTdY

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    It may make for some great pulled beef.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Batboy, live big. Rub, indirect heat with a pan of water or wine (your choice), BGE 240 to 260 and let it go. Lean means it will cook a lot quicker than a marbled/fat cut. I think (spelled memory not always a good thing) internal temp should be about 180. At that point, rest while you heat up the egg and reverse seer. By adding the vapor from the wine pan, the meat will keep it's moister.
  • It won't pull at all, it's too lean. Bottom round is best used in making beef jerky. You can always sear it and then smoke it to internal temp of say 130 or so, then thin slice it for sandwiches if you own a slicer. Unfortunately, it ain't even close to a brisket.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    We use to take bottom round and tenderize it, then use it for what was called swiss steak. 
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.