Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Big, Ugly, Rusty Egg. What is this?

Options
I found this http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/app/4170937925.html  posted on craigslist a few days ago and thought it was an antique BGE.  It was reposted again today so I took another look at it and it says something about Taiwan on the top of it.  Just thought it was funny looking and wanted to share it.  They arent asking a lot of money for it and says it works.  If this beast does anything close to what the green egg does maybe someone on here will wana clean it up and take it home!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Lots of these clay kamado grills were brought back from the war. They are good old grills if they have been taken care of properly. ONLY good for low and slow cooks. They will not hold up with any high temp cooks with them being made out of clay. Richard from Florida has found a few clay cookers like the one you have listed at garage sales. He has done some really nice restorations with them. Might be a fun restoration if you can pick it up for cheap and need another low and slow grill!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I found a 1997 Grille Dome... For $110, cleaned and painted... Works fine. Definitely won't be searing any steaks on it. Hey, $100. I hate the silver but it's what I had in hi temp spray paint.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    I actually like the silver.  I'll give you $120 for it.  :)
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • 30yearegger
    Options
    It may be what my first egg was, Imperial Kamado. Mine is orange and still going strong at my buddys house. It is over 30 years old.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • Little Steven
    Options

That is one of the original BGE's. It's clay and can't do a high temp cook. I would offer $100 right now if it was anywhere close. Judging by the one pic all it needs is some paint and maybe a gasket and it will do most of the cooks as well as a new one.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Don't think its an old egg. In the other pics the cast iron top says PPI pit BBQ top Taiwan. I was gonna offer him $30 for the top but its 60 miles from me.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it is. The handle, hinge mechanism and fire ring look identical.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited November 2013
    Options
    That's just bge copying them. I have one of the really old ones, and the only thing bge did not copy was the Japanese writing. Good cooker though, just no high heat.