Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CyberQ WiFi vs Stoker WiFi

Options
I am trying to decide between the two. It seems they are both very good. I will only have a large BGE that it will be used with. What are your thougths and recommendations? If I go with the Stoker, is there anything else that I need to get besides the basic package? Also what about the customer service? Who has the better? Thanks everyone.

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I am interested in this! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • baychilla
    Options
    I recently purchased a CyberQ WiFi - it's currently working on its first cook.  With the Stoker all you'd need is the stoker, an adapter and possible a bit of Cat-5 cable (IIRC the Stoker doesn't default to a wifi connection as the CyberQ does).

One possible knock for the CyberQ is that there isn't any native software for it for charting the course of a cook.  While a third party does have such a bit of code it seems to require the user leave their CyberQ connected to the internet serving web pages without its security enabled. 
    Near San Francisco in California
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

I have the Cyber Q and I really like it.  Ruled out the Stoker because of the higher cost than I paid for the Cyber Q - an honestly I couldn't deal with the Stoker website.  I found it glitchy and unruly and I didn't want any of those problems with an actual controller - or worrying about customer service.

When I got the Cyber Q is was old firmware and it took a while to get it updated.  It took even longer to get it set up in infrastructure mode - but that was because of my internet provider's router not letting me see my own IP address.  As soon as I VPN'd my work computer and tried I found it had been working all along.

Now all works as it should and I use the controller interface from wedonet.  I occasionally have issues during a cook where I loose connection to my home network, but that is an issue with the signal strength of my router. 

Bottom line on the cyber Q is I found there is a learning curve to the set up - but once that's dialed in - I wouldn't set up overnighters or long low temp cooks without it. 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I have the Stoker and love it. Customer service was great after I got mine wet and they sent be a brand new one. It's also wireless and I can join my home network. Where mine is located, I use an access point but the built in wireless is there. I also love the Stoker Log software. With the Stoker on it's own IP, I also use Excel to record all temp data (pit temp, outdoor temp, meat temps) every 2 minutes. It's nice to be able to look back thru past cooks if I want. I can even monitor/ change pit temps on my POS Blackberry phone.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• plumbfir01
    Options
    Does the cyber q allow for more access ports like the stoker? Meaning more temps being monitored at once
    Beaufort, SC
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I have had my stoker for a few years. I bought the fist one (white no WIFI) and used a gaming bridge. When the built-in WIFI came out I got that one also. You can set it can send tweets also. This is handy if away from the house.

You can use it to control to cookers with 2 blowers, 1 in each cooker.

I use 2 fire probes, one at the grate and one in the Dome probe hole.

Also I use 2 meat probes. i.e. point and flat, 2 butts or 2 meat loafs. 

With the Stokerlog software, I can monitor and graph the entire cook cycle showing all 4 temps. Then save the setup, screen save the graph. 

It is one of the best things for the BGE I have. The boys at Rock's are great.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • BigWader
    Options
    Cyber Q has 3 food probes, but only 1 pit probe controller.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• thailandjohn
    Options
    I don't know about the Guru, but I love my Stoker......I have had mine for a few years and I am thinking about upgrading to the newer model .....I use mine wireless on both my IPhone and iPad and I use the BBQ Monitor App for monitoring remotely....You won't go wrong with the Stoker
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Good comparison here: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews.htm

I'm a dealer for the CyberQ Wifi, but not the Stoker.  If you have any questions or want a quote, just email me.

• trout1
    trout1 Posts: 104
    Options

Question on the probe lengths: I have eggmates on my LBGE.  Would you suggest 4 ft. or 6 ft. wires, or at least 6 ft. for the fan?  You that use the AR, do you shield the wires with foil or something from the heat?

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I like the 6ft wires is more than enough......but I wouldn't go any shorter than that.  They all have to be the same length when you order.

I wrap the wires with foil just in case I drip BBQ or mop sauce on them.  I don't like trying to clean them off.  Probes are the weak point of any temp controller, so I'm pretty careful with them.

I also will hang my controller box underneath the Egg if it's raining.  Again, just paranoid since these are expensive!

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

With my Stoker I have different lengths, long 8' for food probes allows me to pull or remove the meat, set on counter and reset the grids or plate setter if needed. Two temp probes at 6'. I think they are available in 4',6',8' and 10'.

If you have a place located for the unit just measure how far and order what you need.

You can have as many probes as you can stack up with the extenders.

Each probe has it's own electronic ID so each is unique. The software will display all of the devices that are plugged in.

For low and slow or hot and fast, you can't beat having any blower controller.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • baychilla
    Options
    Something that was odd with both is IIRC you can get longer probe wires than fan wires.  I'm not sure how thats supposed to work.
  • Tbonez3858
    Options
    I just ordered a stoker. I decided based off of the software and what appears to be a more sturdy case. I will end up owning two pits in the future as well.
  • baychilla
    Options
    BigWader said:

I have the Cyber Q and I really like it.  Ruled out the Stoker because of the higher cost than I paid for the Cyber Q - an honestly I couldn't deal with the Stoker website.  I found it glitchy and unruly and I didn't want any of those problems with an actual controller - or worrying about customer service.

When I got the Cyber Q is was old firmware and it took a while to get it updated.  It took even longer to get it set up in infrastructure mode - but that was because of my internet provider's router not letting me see my own IP address.  As soon as I VPN'd my work computer and tried I found it had been working all along.

Now all works as it should and I use the controller interface from wedonet.  I occasionally have issues during a cook where I loose connection to my home network, but that is an issue with the signal strength of my router. 

Bottom line on the cyber Q is I found there is a learning curve to the set up - but once that's dialed in - I wouldn't set up overnighters or long low temp cooks without it. 

Can you get the wedonet software to read your CyberQ without disabling the username:password check.
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I bought the cyberq wifi 2 weeks ago from amazon for $400...took a liitle time to set up but no problems since then... email function not working was a bummer...still waiting for a workaround...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • BigWader
    Options

I need to hook it up to look.  It is kept in the garage and haven't had it out for a couple weeks.  I'll hook it up.  I think I owe Mike a look at the mail settings on mine to see how mine is working with gmx.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    BigWader said:

I need to hook it up to look.  It is kept in the garage and haven't had it out for a couple weeks.  I'll hook it up.  I think I owe Mike a look at the mail settings on mine to see how mine is working with gmx

Thanks...guru support said it was because there are no providers that let you send with those configerations anymore and even gmx will no longer work (maybe justnfor new accts)..in any case they are working on setting up smtp sservers that will bring the function back to life...but no ETA...

Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • alabamatom
    Options
    I used my stash of past birthday and Christmas money to put towards the Stoker.  I got it based on nakedwhiz's testing.  I love the Stoker.  I got it last February and had some trouble connecting it to my network but after that it worked great.  Rock's customer support was helpful, but I think they assumed that I knew more about networking then I really did.  I also got a type K sensor and a high temperature thermocouple from Thermoworks.

I downloaded the Stokerlog software which also works great.  Besides being able to print out fire and food temperature graphs it also has an 'open lid' function which automatically shuts off the blower for five minutes.

But alas the Stoker is on its way back in San Francisco.  It reboots itself every time I would try to change its temperature set point.  We will see what kind of service I get.  I will let you know what happens.