Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Shack Attack Sauce..... Great Vinegar sauce for anything.

This is a old BBQ Brethren recipe that I have used for quite some time.  NO sugar, a little heat and one hell of a good sauce.

This recipe is from an old VA BBQ guy named "Shack". 
I blow through this sauce on everything..even makes the best coleslaw.  My neighbors try to buy it from me..LOL

1 1/2 cup
Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. 16 ounces total.

I used Sriracha sauce for the hot sauce and was fantastic!!!
Some others use juice for the water and various kinds of mustard to their liking.
Give it a shot if you haven't already....
·

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 6,634
    I've seen that before on the Brethren site but never tried it. Maybe its time to change that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Thanks!  Bookmarked. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • Look forward to trying this, Thanks!
    ·
  • pwg56pwg56 Posts: 92
    Looks good! What is your most favorite thing to put this on?
    ·
  • smokeyjsmokeyj Posts: 245
    edited November 2013
    I tried this sauce. I posted this recipe in another thread. I couldn't remember where I got from. It is real good. I'll have to try the sriracha version. Thanks
    ·
  • Just mixed this one up so far it tastes very good. I'll let it sit until Saturday.
    Aurora,OH
    ·
  • FatMikeFatMike Posts: 464
    Pwg, this is really good on pulled pork or any BBQ. Last night it made some crappy take out pizza pretty darn good.
    ·
  • Mmm, just mixed it up and letting it sit.  Awesome vinegar hawt sauce.  SWMBO won't like it.

XLBGE
    ·
  • I made up some last night.

Should this be kept refrigerated?

·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,515
    Any pics of what this sauce looks like?
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
    I can get a pic when I get home from work.
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,515
    So the taste is kinda a cross between Eastern NC vinegar and Georgia mustard?
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·

Here is my sauce. I followed the recipe as shown.

·
    They say you can just leave it out on the counter... I refrigerate mine tho.  Got home from work and the wife had some biscuits and gravy...mixed some of this sauce in the gravy....Tasty!!!!
     I have been bumping the hot sauce up to a 1/3 cup of sriracha to increase the heat a bit.
    ·
    500, I would say that is a good description.  The mustard doesn't come through too strong...Kind of like what Jasonegg said, vinegar hot sauce with some bbq flair
    ·
  • bodskibodski Posts: 353
    I've been wanting to make a vinegar-based sauce. This one sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Gasser

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,497
    I made this last night but used masala chili sauce and its almost too spicy. Even cut it with apple juice and still hot. Gonna have to use it sparingly. Good flavor though.
    ·