Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mexican tailgate

The theme this Saturday is from below the Rio Grande. Any ideas?

We leave at 7am.
Well have electricity.
Eat around 1pm.
Really don't want a soup.
If I go and don't send it I can probably take the fryer. I thought about pulled pork egg rolls. Could I prep Friday and cook Saturday?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• We did a TexMex theme for the Vols-Bulldogs tailgate last month.  Here was the menu we used

Tex-Mex Rice

The ABT's didn't hit the theme, our tailgate crew just asks for them every time.  But the nachos with pulled pork queso were a big hit as were the steak fajitas (made with skirt steak), both can be all prepped ahead.  

We didn't take our Eggs, just took a few portables.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    How about pulled pork enchiladas? Prep ahead of time and reheat.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Tacos de Carne Asada!

Simple Tacos with Jack cheese.
    You can use Ribeye, chop it in small pieces
    You only have to prep Cilantro, Onion.
    A few different salsas, like chipotle, red, green, etc..

flour or corn tortillas.

Very simple and a fast service.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Make you up some enchiladas minus the sauce. Put the sauce on at site and cook there. Sous vide a flap steak and do the peppers onions and sear the steak there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Picadillo tacos.   Prepare the day before to let flavors meld together.  Serve with grilled corn tortilla, cheese,  guacamole and tomatoes and pico de gallo, or, use pre made tortilla cups.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    +1 on picadillo tacos and all the fixin's!  Recommend you add diced cabbage with lime and salt. (great on all tacos)  good/simple side - Peeled/sliced cucumber with lime and tajin.

Or just stay up all night making tamales.  Put them on a grill right before serving...  

Since it's tailgating, you'll need booze too. :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    El Hamburgers and El Hotdogs would work :D
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Fajitas would be a great idea. Not much prep, you can marinate the meat for some time, and you can feed a lot of people. I like to spice it myself instead of using fajita mix or rub. Make sure it has a good dose of cumin and garlic, and try different chili powders for flavor (ancho, guajillo, etc). Easy but good and tasty. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • +1 on picadillo tacos and all the fixin's!  Recommend you add diced cabbage with lime and salt. (great on all tacos)  good/simple side - Peeled/sliced cucumber with lime and tajin.

Or just stay up all night making tamales.  Put them on a grill right before serving...  

Since it's tailgating, you'll need booze too. :)

Tequila! And many cervesas

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Does @henapple drink ?????

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830

Whatever you make just make sure it is served with "pay bay eray"

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Cabrito or menudo.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• How many folks?  And what egg/grill do you have available on site?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    The problem with saying Mexican food is that Mexico has such a wide varitety of foods depending on what part of the country you are in. And unlike most peoples preconceptions based on Tex-Mex, most of it really is not spicy. Here's a few more ideas: mole (not the tunnel digging mammal), pozole, carnitas, picadillo, birria, tamales and whatever you do, you should make some Mexican corn, either elote (on the cob) or esquites (in a cup).

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    green chili and shrimp tacos
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    This is a weird tailgate party. The parents feed all the spirit teams. Around 60 folks. Every one brings the food... No cooking. I always do a LG butt.. Goes over well. I'm not 100% sure I'm going. @Griffin, the corn dish sounds good. My wife makes a great dish like that served chilled. What about street tortillas, corn mix and pulled pork. Any ideas on spicing up the pork? Just use sauce afterwards? I can keep the pork hot by not shredding it till I get there or they're ready to eat.

I hate drinking by myself.... lols jk broski.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    :)

To spice up the pork, you can roast some hatch green chilies, dice and mix in while pulling, or serve on the side if you want to avoid the heat for some.  Cabbage man, it goes great on a PP taco.  So does salsa verde, some diced fresh onions and cilantro..  Love that corn idea!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I've been meaning to do a pork butt larded with jalapenos and garlic, maybe rubbed with a fajita mix type of rub. That might go over well with the crowd. Maybe go easy on the jalapenos if folks don't like hot/spicy stuff.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    instead of doing a traditional butt look up carnitas, same idea with a mexican flair.  I think centex has a post on it somewhere on here.
  • Third fire-up on my Egg, followed the 'Nibble Me This' fajitas recipe .... very, very good!