Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

South Carolina pulled port

Options
In the past I've done what I guess is a North Carolina style pulled pork. I wanted to try something a little different this time around and mosey'd my way south. The recipe I'm using comes from an episode of Cooks Country with a modification (I'm not going to use the oven - start to finish cooking will be in the Egg). I'm also for the first time going to inject the butts. It turns out I should have RTFM about how to use my nifty syringe. Oops.

Dry rub waiting to be applied

Injection/brine with a wee addition (I put about 1tbsp of Makers in - I have no idea if alcohol is a good or bad thing for injecting)

16lbs of boneless butts

The butts after injection waiting a last rub in of the rub. I found that the amount of rub the recipe made to be insufficient (top, bottom, sides as well as the interior where the bone was).
Near San Francisco in California

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Alcohol is always good for injecting, if kept to a reasonable amount, like you did. Discovered this with JD Tennessee Honey, couldn't drink it so tried to cook with it. Worked very well, about 1 oz in a cup of marinade. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • baychilla
    Options
    The only thing I found for the JD honey was a hot toddy.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks good so far. I prefer bone-in butts myself. How did you like the rub? Their recipes usually lacked heat for me, but maybe their bbq recipes are better. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • baychilla
    Options
    If its like most of their other recipes probably too sweet for me.  Unfortunately around here bone in butts are a special order item.

The rub was very pungent when I got of whiff of it this morning before tossing the butts on the egg - so I'm hoping the mustard flavor carries through rather than the combination of white and brown sugar.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just asking (not judging mind you) but two pic's with Makers Mark in them and they were both a little fuzzy? 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• baychilla
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Just asking (not judging mind you) but two pic's with Makers Mark in them and they were both a little fuzzy? 
    Id like to blame my cell phone.  It's not near as sharp as my DSLRs.

Up and running this morning

It's Alive!

Checking on the dome open feature ;)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    All I see is butts. When do we get to the port?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• baychilla
    Options
    All I see is butts. When do we get to the port?
    Hah.  As soon as the clipper from Lisbon arrives. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Love me some Warres man!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• baychilla
    Options
    After nervously watching online all day (the butts seemed to heat up very quickly at first) I got home and saw I was stuck in plateau land at ~175. Not wanting to be up all night I pushed the grill grate temperature up to 300. 

I wound up with this
    which when introduced to the sauce (I think Ill make more sauce - I dont think I had enough) 

produced this - 

The pork tasted good while being pulled. I guess due to the sugar in the rub the skin took a very crisp crackling like quality. It was however a bit on the sweet side. I'm looking forward to trying the meat reheated in sandwiches, perhaps with a bit more sauce.