Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Question

How in the world do you stretch/prepare the dough so:

1.) It's thin
2.) Round
3.) Stays the shape you want

Tried making our own - Did not come out to well.

Bought some from a bakery - Was able to stretch a little but when cooked got thick crust.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• You need to allow it to rest as you're making it. Roll it out a bit (I usually do it all by hand) and then let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Roll it some more and it should not shrink. If it does, let it rest a little more.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Learn to toss it. I'm still learning, and it does make a mess, but I do it outside.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    if I do it outside it will freeze now.  I hate the winter.

Garnerville, NY
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Yeah, same problem here now. So, flour all over the kitchen now, SWMBO doesn't approve, but as long as I clean up she tolerates me. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    edited November 2013
    well rested, room temp, rest it some more if it gets tough when working it. shoot for thin, the other things on your list are unimportant. the really important part is to sing in italian while tossing the dough in the air or atleast fake italian.  i just walk away from the mess
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • without being there, who knows what happened...

was the dough at room temp?  Was the dough cold?  If the dough was cold, that was your problem

gluten is really developed during the bulk ferment of the dough and again during the proofing of the dough ball.  If you've allowed for the gluten to develop, the intertwining of the dough structure, then you can get it to go really thin, just as long as the dough isn't cold.  If it's cold, it'll tear.  When the gluten is really developed, "window paning" the dough shouldn't be a problem.  

***btw, never use a rolling pin for pizza dough, it will wreck it, push all the air bubbles out, etc.  
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited November 2013
    I have two dough recipes, I do not have trouble stretching either.   I find that purchased dough has been machine kneaded, and the gluten is really well developed, which makes it tough to stretch.  

One dough recipe comes from the Pizza lab at seriouseats.com 

The other is a no knead recipe from Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day.  I can PDF and attach it if anyone is interested..

As for achieving a round pizza, I am told the secret is to start with a round ball of dough. Contrary to some, I use a rolling pin to achieve my desired thinness, and I always roll m dough and assemble my pizza on parchment.  It goes right onto the stone, and always makes pizza that I like, with a nice crispy bottom crust.  

This pie is round enough for me.
    And the crust cooks just great on the parchment.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    If I don't have time to let it rest I throw it in the microwave for several seconds and take the chill out of it.
  • Dough that is not ready to work is like trying to push on a rope, no matter how you try, it just won't happen. Like TOTN says, leave it for a few minutes, walk away. Come back and try again. If you want thin crust, NY style, see this:

This is cold dough, worked with oil rather than flour and it provides some great insight into what and how to get the result you want.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • If you don't know how to throw pizzas just flatten the dough gently and pull from the outside as you turn it. Work any thick parts in the middle to the outside with your palms. If it tears, grab a piece where its thick and patch it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tossing the dough vs rolling makes a big difference. You don't have to toss it in the air like you see on tv. Start with the round ball. Flour the counter top to prevent sticking. Press around the edge of the dough ball. This forms the outer crust. Press from the center and work your way to the edge in a circular motion. On e you get it fairly flat and bigger than the size of your hand, toss it back and forth between your hands. As it starts to grow, keep tossing between hands and forearms. When you get it close to the correct size, lay it down and press it out to final shape. This takes practice but will give you nicely shaped pies.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Check out Kristi's technique from @Necessaryindulg. About half way down the thread. Works for me. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1224650/#Comment_1224650
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Thanks, @Tjcoley and @cortguitarman! :) 
    robnybbq: I only use dough from my grocery store's bakery.   I used to roll it out with a rolling pin, but I didn’t like how tough it made the crust.  THIS is how I do it... hope it helps. 

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Cookinbob said:

I have two dough recipes, I do not have trouble stretching either.   I find that purchased dough has been machine kneaded, and the gluten is really well developed, which makes it tough to stretch.  

One dough recipe comes from the Pizza lab at seriouseats.com 

The other is a no knead recipe from Artisan bread in 5 minutes a day.  I can PDF and attach it if anyone is interested..

As for achieving a round pizza, I am told the secret is to start with a round ball of dough. Contrary to some, I use a rolling pin to achieve my desired thinness, and I always roll m dough and assemble my pizza on parchment.  It goes right onto the stone, and always makes pizza that I like, with a nice crispy bottom crust.  

This pie is round enough for me.
    And the crust cooks just great on the parchment.
    I would be interested in the PDF. Thanks.

• LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Man i've had some battles with some dough before. went round and round with 1 particular batch of homemade before, and it ended w/ pieces of dough hanging from the light fixture, cabinets, etc. rolling pin had to be replaced too. i usually stick to the publix dough now, or local pizza joint. gonna give homemade another try 1 of these days. 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    King Arthur Flour to the rescue. This Easy Roll Dough Improver works great for pizza dough and flatbread. Add about 1 tablespoon per 3 cups of flour. I think Amazon has it too. I hate fighting pizza dough.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • This is a most informative post, thanks everyone.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • I try a different dough recipe every time. Right now, I'm on a food processor kick. Really works great. Someone linked that ny style recipe earlier. As far as stretching the dough goes, I do it like the smoking guitar man. I'll see if I can link his youtube here somehow. The knuckle stretch, focusing on the edges not the middle, works perfectly for me. Plus his videos are awesome. MAKING PIZZA - on the Big Green Egg - SmokinGuitarPlayer Video ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obOxdsy8lDE
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Great video from Fred, as usual. Thanks for posting that one.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    smokeyj said:

I would be interested in the PDF. Thanks.
    PDF attached.  Good luck!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY