Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a wooden carry case for the Mini

I plan to start camping soon and want to take the mini along. I love the egg carten, but the maker of that seems to be under the radar. Wondered if anyone has plans or would be interested in sharing their experience if they have made one. I want to be able to keep it inside our RV. Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I made one out of 2*2s and 1*6s and it was easy and light enough to carry with the mini in it. Will try to remember to post photos tomorrow on my phone now.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited November 2013
    This worked well for me for a couple of years till I got my Carten. Got this idea from Beli. It is on wheels and I think about $25 or so. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I've seen several over the years that eggers have made that serves the dual purpose of protecting a mini while in transit, but also when turned over they have legs which extend so the carrier then becomes a stand. Sorry I don't have a picture, but the concept is rather simple.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @RRP I sent Mr Chicken a note to be sure and see this. His is as you describe.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Here's some pics of what I did. I made it so it fit in my table also so I could just lift it out..image.image.image
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    We have some clever people on this forum. That's a great idea.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • There have already been some good ideas above but I'll add mine.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/leroymcmillin/MaggieMiniinnewdress800X600.jpg

Mine is a combination transporter and cook table with chicken legs and chicken feet and colorful wings, as shown in the photo.  It sets up as a Mini Kitchen when I want it to be one.  Or I can leave the Mini in the hole while cooking.  By setting the Mini on top I add some height if it's needed.

To transport it, just remove the Mini, fold the wings, remove the legs and insert the Mini into the hole.  Works like a champ.

Oh, and you don't need to use heavy wood construction when building something.  You will end up adding unnecessary weight.

The ice chest Mickey suggested is probably the better idea because the chest can be used to store ice once you get there.  And the ability to close the lid tight will keep the odor of the Egg contained and not stink up your car on the way home.

Or you can just wrap it in an old beach towel and put it in a cardboard box.  It all works.  It just depends on how much money, time and energy you want to put into it.

Spring "Egg In A Box" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500

Morning Mcpics:

I built a carrier for my mini that worked nicely...here is the link to the description... http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=140217&catid=1 ...feel free to email me through the forum and I can send you the plans.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• I built a box that is pretty large for my mini. It is safe in there though and doubles as a table.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin