Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Sous Vide question

Options
I just received my SV Demi and am wondering if i can cook the steaks to medium temp and put them back in fridge and take to work for the next day? Im a firefighter medic and was thinking it would be great if i could cook my food and take them to work and sear them in skillet to heat the meat and veggies and would be pretty easy. Not sure if it is safe however.. 
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I do it all the time with chicken breasts and I would think it would work just fine for steak.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I just received my SV Demi and am wondering if i can cook the steaks to medium temp and put them back in fridge and take to work for the next day? Im a firefighter medic and was thinking it would be great if i could cook my food and take them to work and sear them in skillet to heat the meat and veggies and would be pretty easy. Not sure if it is safe however.. 
    You might want to put the bag in some hot water for an hour to reheat the interior so you don't overcook when you sear.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    edited November 2013
    Options
    @plumbfir01 - It should work, I would dunk the bags in ice water after SV before storing.

Little Steven - Actually I was thinking it may be better to sear straight out of the fridge ... to get a nice char before the internal temp went up too much.  I read that some folks deliberately chill meat for 20-30 minutes after SV before searing.  Gosh, I'm confused!
    canuckland
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    So to be clear... I can cook my chicken and chill it then refrigerate it without ever changing the bags? And then sear it in skillet and I'm good? No safety concerns? Awesome!
    Beaufort, SC
  • Little Steven
    Options
    @plumbfir01 - It should work, I would dunk the bags in ice water after SV before storing.

Little Steven - Actually I was thinking it may be better to sear straight out of the fridge ... to get a nice char before the internal temp went up too much.  I read that some folks deliberately chill meat for 20-30 minutes after SV before searing.  Gosh, I'm confused!
    I was thinking of a thick steak just hot tubbed for a while.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    Options
    That's one of the advantages of SV!
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    So to be clear... I can cook my chicken and chill it then refrigerate it without ever changing the bags? And then sear it in skillet and I'm good? No safety concerns? Awesome!
    You may want to do a quick chill in ice water before you put it in the fridge if you are really concerned. The meat will be Pasteurised after the sous-vide so the clock starts ticking from there. I don't worry about it myself.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• plumbfir01
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks
    Beaufort, SC
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I don't really see a difference between what you are describing and regular left overs. It's cooked fully and then refigurated for later consumption.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Seems like chilling might be overkill?
    Is it strictly done just to minimize the food-borne danger window to as short as possible?
    Gittin' there...
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    @raymont.... I was more concerned with the bag issue... If it kept any bacteria or not
    Beaufort, SC