Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini-do I need protection under it?

Got my new mini Sat. I will be using on a wooden table and possibly cast aluminum table. Do I need a tile or something under it? How hot do they get being so short/close to ground? TIA
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'd put something under it.. Better safe...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Do you have the new style nest? If so, I don't think you need anything. If you don't, and are setting it directly on a surface, then I would put something underneath, maybe with an air gap. Depends what you are setting it on, and whether you care about discoloration, or worse charring/burning.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I keep mine in a nest with fire brick under the nest and on top of the table....no problems.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Definitely put something under it. The ash collection area is really shallow, meaning the fire is relatively close to the bottom. I use the feet from my large and a 1-inch concrete paver. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • I did get the nest...not sure what the difference is between the new and old styles. The mini is the latest version so I'm guessing nest is as well. The nest puts it several inches from the surface below. Meaning several inches of air gap, maybe six to eight inches. I'm not home right now to measure, so unsure.. I always use fire retardant mats under LBGE, MBGE when I use them in their nests to catch any ash or sparks. I was hoping to use the same method here but concerned that the mini sits closer to the ground.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @mickey puts protection on his mini...

:))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN