Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ceramic feet on top of paver ??

2»

Comments

• Again, I don't think you need a paver and if you add that thickness your egg is going to be way up in the hole. The thermal conduction is eradicated by the feet and that leave you with some radiant heat from the bottom of the egg to the shelf. A tile will be more than sufficient to absorb and dissipate that heat. If you use a white tile it will be even better.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I've had mine sitting on a paver directly, without the feet for years.  Never had a problem and i've gotten it HOT many times, you know where you think it's at 200 degrees but really at 1200 lol

I believe you, but I also know from my personal experience I found the round cement stepping stone that my large was sitting on without the feet cracked in half. I believe that stone had absorbed moisture and when my egg had gotten real hot the trapped moisture caused the break. It just made me a believer that the added air flow and without direct contact was a good thing!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited November 2013
    You have the feet already, but if you need something for the second egg: http://www.lowes.com/pd_281193-303-673765_0__?productId=3030165&Ntt=clay+pot&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dclay%2Bpot&facetInfo=

I would go with egg on top of feet on top of tile (if not paver). 

Overkill? Possibly. But do you really want to find out the hard way, in lieu of spending a few bucks? Its super cheap insurance.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • queued
    queued Posts: 50
    If you have a table nest, do you still need the paver?  I'd think it isn't needed given the 2 inches of airflow.
    Raleigh, NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    queued said:
    If you have a table nest, do you still need the paver?  I'd think it isn't needed given the 2 inches of airflow.
    With that you should be ok as long as you also use your vent screen to stop embers from popping out.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I've had mine sitting on a paver directly, without the feet for years.  Never had a problem and i've gotten it HOT many times, you know where you think it's at 200 degrees but really at 1200 lol
    Can be true, depends on the paver, how much bigger is it than the base of the egg, is it concrete or clay, 1" or 2" etc... I like the non-combustible protection under the egg. An air gap means the temp of the paver is greatly reduced. Sh*t happens. Ask CenTex - his table burned completely away on one end, he's been egging for years, take the steps you can to stay safe. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I have both under mine, after seeing some folks lose their table I didn't want to take a chance.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    edited November 2013

I guess I am in the extra cautious group given some of the fire photos here.  In my first table, I used ceramic feet with paver stone from Lowe's.  After a high temp cook, I reached underneath the stone and was surprised at how hot the bottom was even with feet in place and open space underneath.  When that table was moved to the lake, I built a new one and dropped shelf down enough to add layer of fire brick on top of paver.  I am safe at home, and hopefully won't burn down the lakehouse.image

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    A concrete paver alone works fine (what I have and many others), but if you have the feet and can use them in addition to the paver, they can't hurt. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    I like to use my ceramic feet for pizza and calzone setups, so for my table I opted to use a steel strap cut into 3 pieces for the airflow. A paver stone, the steel straps and then the egg on top of the straps. The mat you see between the stone and the table is a spark resistant mat. Probably not necessary, but it is a nice peace of mind, and it keeps the table clean from dirty grates and other stuff.
  • FWIW, I emailed BGE Customer Support about obtaining some egg feet  and this was their response:
    Placing EGG on patio paver is fine for table. We also make a table nest.   http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggcessories/table-nest/

Your local dealer could stock or order for you.  www.biggreenegg.com/locator

Ceramic feet are no longer used or provided for the EGG.

attached online manual shows what comes with EGG.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2012_Online_Manual.pdf

Hope this helps.

Jerry

I would agree that more ventilation is better, although I have yet to elevate the egg off of the paver.  Been this way since April when I built my table.  That being said, for longevity and safety, I'll err on the side of caution and probably go to a big box HI warehouse for a couple of those ceramic pot risers..

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @mkknopf - check with your local dealer. Sometimes they have a bunch of feet in the back and will give them to you gratis. Maybe more likely to do so if you are buying other stuff or have a relationship with them.

One local dealer didn't have any, Checked with another one, and he wanted $20... per foot! That's not the only time that guy has proven to be a thief though The pot holders at Lowes work very well and are cheap. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • @caliking - Thanks, good suggestion.  I need to talk to them about a cracked fire ring anyway.  May not be the best time to ask about free feet, but worth a shot.  Not going to shell out $20 per, but might make it worth his effort.

They've been very accommodating and responsive in the past, so we'll see...

-mk