Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

ceramic feet on top of paver ??

I just put a paver stone under my LBGE on my table was wondering if I still need the ceramic feet between the egg and paver any advice would be appriceated
2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.
·

Comments

• I don't have any between my egg and stone, however, my stone rests on cleats so there is airflow under that.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,139
    I use the feet for sake of air flow. Years back I had a cold stone break in two when my egg was sitting directly. BTW keep in mind some people here won't know what you are even talking about when you say feet!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • @TexanofTheNorth my stone is directly on the bottom shelf of my table and the egg is directly on the paver so I don't know if I have to put the ceramic feet between the paver and egg 
    In your case, I'd probably use the feet or something to add space... it can't hurt.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • @RRP yeah I understand that the feet are old school as far as I know they (Mothership) don't even make the feet anymore
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Yes you need something to give air flow...feet are great to use...there are pics on the old forum of tables getting scorched when the BGE sits directly on the paver stone...
    ·
  • Spend the $30 for a nice clean table nest and you won't have to worry.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·

How much does that raise the egg?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 14,139
    edited November 2013
    Most good nursery's sell "pot feet" which are fired ceramic feet used to keep large flower planters off decks. They are typically cheap. Just remember what you learned in school - you only want 3 of them, not 4 so your egg rests securely without wobbling.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • Yes I have 3 ceramic feet from BGE that came with my table when I got it and somebody I don't remember who sugested that I put a paver under my Egg so I did  now I was concerened if I should use the 3 BGE ceramic feet as well so thats why I stared this post 

Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • here is a photo of my Egg on the ceramic feet before I put the paver this is the photo that somebody  suggested that I put a Paver under my eggimage
    IMG_1881.jpg
    1936 x 2592 - 2M
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,274
    Yes use both. My original table I just used a paver and there was a circular scorched mark under the paver the first time I moved it. Anyone without feet I saw someone on eBay is making a replica that is green ceramic and they looked nicer than the egg ones. http://m.ebay.com/itm/111202256972?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
    ·

How much does that raise the egg?   2"

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,369

@Charlesmaneri; good photo of your setup.  Just for complete safety (IMHO). I'd use a concrete planter on the shelf, then the feet.  The combination of planter and air space created by the feet is a winner.  That's the way I've done it for 3+ years.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • @Lit I used just the ceramic feet for a long time and had no problem at all when I took the egg out to put the paver in everything was fine no scorch mark at all 
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • @Lit I used just the ceramic feet for a long time and had no problem at all when I took the egg out to put the paver in everything was fine no scorch mark at all 
    Maybe a thin porcelain tile under the feet just to prevent radiant heating of the wood. That way you wouldn't add much height.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,274
    The feet alone are probably better than the paver alone. I never used the feet alone.
    ·
  • @Lit at 1st thats all I used as the photo showed but somebody recommend that I put a paver  so I did but as of now it's just the paver and I haven't cooked on it yet maybe I will put the feet between the Egg and paver and be safe 
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • I went back and found out that Mrcookingnurse recommended that I put the paver 

Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • If you got the feet use them.  The airflow can only help.  With a wood table, I'd do whatever I could to keep beneath the egg as cool as possible.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,392
    you dont need much airspace between the paver and egg, 3 quarters will work, 75 cents

·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,547
    When I got my egg in 2006 I wasn't on the forum and nobody told me about putting a paver under the egg so I just put it on the feet in my table. It wasn't until my egg cracked this year that it became an issue I was just glad it didn't happen while I was doing an over night. After I fix the table I will use a paver and the feet as well, the airflow can only help IMO.
    IMG_2150.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    IMG_2149.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
    IMG_2151.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • You need a space, the feet or some ceramic spacers like those used to mount a heat shield for a wood stove. Air gap below the egg then the paver. I use a table nest, but you can get the same result with a paver and something to create an air gap. Table nest provides about 2" of air gap. 
    IMGP2480.jpg
    4288 x 2848 - 875K
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • @skiddymarker so your saying I need a spacer between the paver and table and a space between the Egg and paver is that rite?
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,369
    jaydub58 said:

@Charlesmaneri; good photo of your setup.  Just for complete safety (IMHO). I'd use a concrete planter on the shelf, then the feet.  The combination of planter and air space created by the feet is a winner.  That's the way I've done it for 3+ years.

Nope, just paver on the table shelf, feet on paver, then egg on feet.  You'll be fine.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    I have my egg on ceramic feet and on a paver. I was highly advised from several heavy hitters on this forum that I should do that. I haven't had ANY trouble with mine!image
    image.jpg
    960 x 720 - 250K
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,187
    edited November 2013
    @skiddymarker so your saying I need a spacer between the paver and table and a space between the Egg and paver is that rite?
    Nope, paver on the table, spacer, egg. The egg is the hot item so the air gap between it and the paver will keep the paver cooler and the table protected. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I've had mine sitting on a paver directly, without the feet for years.  Never had a problem and i've gotten it HOT many times, you know where you think it's at 200 degrees but really at 1200 lol
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
    ·