Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Turkey for Thanksgiving

Options
I ordered a fresh turkey for Thanksgiving today from Fresh Market.  Tried a frozen one and it came out ok-wanted to try a fresh one to see if there was a difference on the BGE.  Any of you veterans have any input?

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thinkin about doing the same. Will be following to see others thoughts on fresh vs frozen.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Will probably do an injection and of course a rub.  Think I will try icing down the breasts 30 minutes before putting in on the Egg.  Was wondering if it was a good idea to stuff the bird with stuffing?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I've only ever done fresh. They turn out awesome wether I smoke the turkey or cook it the traditional way.

The 2 basic advantages are:
    1) It frees up the oven for other stuff which is always an issue when cooking inside.
    2) The Egg is a tightly controlled environment in terms of heat and moisture. This acts as a "crutch" for the turkey itself by keeping the bird moist without the need the typical tools used for that(like basting).
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Watching this as wondering the same thing. Want to do a trial run this weekend so I can make changes and do another trial before T-Day if needed. Was looking at the frozen birds at the store today and they all seemed to have some sort of solution added. If that is the case with all frozen turkeys I'll be looking for fresh as I want to be the one adding seasonings, not someone else.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Fresh turkeys taste much better IMO. Typically, supermarket turkeys are injected with solutions of different concentrations depending on what brand you buy.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    dihtn said:
    Will probably do an injection and of course a rub.  Think I will try icing down the breasts 30 minutes before putting in on the Egg.  Was wondering if it was a good idea to stuff the bird with stuffing?
    IMO it is NEVER a good idea to stuff the bird with stuffing. That is what they make pans for.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokyBear
    Options
    Mickey said:
    dihtn said:
    IMO it is NEVER a good idea to stuff the bird with stuffing. That is what they make pans for.
    Will you be grilling or smoking it?

I've heard that low and slow is not a good thing for stuffing - something about not killing off all the bacteria in the cavity of the bird quickly enough before it gets into the stuffing..

See "Smokin Oldie's guide to Turkey" on the Cookshack forum for more..tons of great info about smokng a Turkey.

Grilling..no idea on the stuffing.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Mickey said:
    dihtn said:
    Agreed.  Put a raised drip pan below your turkey if you want to add turkey drippings to your stuffing - you will get the flavor you are after in the stuffing, a better bird, and more crust on the stuffing - who doesn't love that??
  • BGEXL_Nick
    Options
    The stuffing is going to end up in the oven at some point but I like to start with it in the bird.  I use a remote thermometer with probes in the thigh and the stuffing.  I take the stuffing out when the dark meat is almost done put it in the oven.  Put the probe from the stuffing into the breast and cook till it hits 163.  I then wrap the pan with aluminum foil after taking the drippings off and let it rest for 30-45 minutes before slicing.  

The stuffing is my in-laws recipe and they always fight for the pan of it that has cooked inside the bird.  They love the flavor it has from all the turkey grease it soaks up.  Now that I think about it, that's probably why I even tried cooking it with the stuffing inside in the first place :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    SmokyBear my 11/12 lb turkey is done in less than 90 mins. I like the smaller birds better.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    if i cant find fresh, i buy a frozen kosher bird, those are salted only, no solution added. i still stuff oven birds
    :D if its cooked in a pan its not a stuffing, its a pan dressing
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I just ordered my 15 lb bird from my butcher. Free range and never frozen. Btw... In the south we have dressing, not stuffing. My wife's dressing is unbelievable.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    @henapple - wanna share that dressing recipe with a fellow southern boy?
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    And a KY hillbilly ??

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    Mickey said:
    dihtn said:
    Will you be grilling or smoking it?

I've heard that low and slow is not a good thing for stuffing - something about not killing off all the bacteria in the cavity of the bird quickly enough before it gets into the stuffing..

See "Smokin Oldie's guide to Turkey" on the Cookshack forum for more..tons of great info about smokng a Turkey.

Grilling..no idea on the stuffing.

Plan on grilling at 325-350 w/Maverick ET732 to monitor temps.

Thank you all for your input.

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Fresh is much, much better. I use a modified version of Amazing Ribs' recipe, and it is absolutely fantastic. Even if we don't have guests this year, I'll still do a 14-pound bird for two people. 

This calls for three quarts of stock in a drip pan under the bird. You will not believe how great this comes out. It is fantastic for soup. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    @henapple bug your wife for the recipe,  i started cooking 2 birds years ago because my sister wouldnt eat smoked turkey meat, well she has come around but the family still wants the stuffing.
    :)) anyways, always trying new dressing recipes, be nice to just be able to cook one bird at a time again
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it