Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Cedar and Granite

Since I was able to get tons of ideas and inspiration for those of you on this site, I thought I'd put mine on and hopefully be able to do the same in return for someone else.  This new home for my Large Egg is many years coming.  I have owned my Egg for about 8 years and have always wanted to have a permanent home for it.  I had a simple Whiz Style table since I got the egg so I have had plenty of time to determine what I wanted in a cabinet.  The biggest things I wanted were charcoal storage, shelves for my plate setter, grates, extensions etc., and a drawer for all of my tools, all of it weatherproof.  After pouring our patio last fall, I had all winter to plan how I wanted to lay it out.  I built my patio furniture first and was glad I did.  By the time I got to my Egg cabinet, my woodworking skills were polished up and I'm really happy how it turned out.  The granite was a remnant piece I picked up for $200.  I had to cut it myself and managed to crack it around the cutout.  I got it epoxied back together and it only shows behind the hinge so I'm not too broke up about it.  As you can see from the "production pics" I had help from my dad and my son.  Fortunately dad has all the "good tools" and the space to build indoors.  The 4x4's I used were all recycled from shipping pallets.  I used cedar carsiding for the cabinet exterior and 1x4's and 1x3's for the doors and trim.  Since I took these photos I added handles and magnetic latches to all of the doors.  Having 6 feet of working space is AWESOME!  Especially for those summer nights when I'm doing pizzas for a large group of friends.  I can cook and serve all on the same surface.  Overall, I'm very proud of my cabinet and I'm glad I took plenty of time to design and build it just how I wanted it. 

Sioux Center, IA

Comments