Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Well I tried

Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276

Decided to make a pork roulade using a loin. It didn't cut well so I  had a bunch of holes. Patched them up with some off cut pieces and pounded them in.

photo 001-7.jpg

It wasn't going to hold the stuffing though so I went out and got some prosciutto and pancetta.

photo 003-7.jpg

photo 005-10.jpg

Youngest son is coming for dinner with his girlfriend who is gluten free so my stale loaf of sourdough got replaced with rice and rice croutons.

Got it tied the best I could and it's going on shortly.

photo 008-7.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

Comments

• HoovHoov Posts: 258
    Looks nice all wrapped up. Can't wait for finished pics! Good luck!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,253
    looks good.  my wife is gluten free and it is a bugger to deal with.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,738
    Looks good so far.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Thanks, I usually do three or four pork tenderloins splayed and pounded out together. Better than this to work with.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,543
    edited November 2013
    Nice save!  Sometimes I wonder if stuffed pork can be rolled up like a giant sushi!

canuckland
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276
    edited November 2013

Never got around to the finished pics. Results were good but I'm sticking with tenderloin in future 

photo 009-6.jpg

Basted with a combination of butter, bourbon and maple syrup. Loosely copied from egret's book

photo 011-7.jpg

photo 014-4.jpg

photo 019-2.jpg 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,155
    Holly crap that looks good
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • That looks amazing !!!!!!!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • That looks amazing !!!!!!!!
    Kinda like a porchetta eh Charles?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • yeah I guess whatever it looks amazing could you tell me what you stuffed it with please
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,000
    LS, are you smoking crack or something? That looks amazing!

-Rob
    ·
  • That's what all my Italian friends call it when they have it. I used dehydrated apples, apricots and a few prunes. Sautéed, pancetta, bacon and prosciuttini. Sautéed red onions, red and yellow bell peppers and a few cloves of garlic. The rice was cooked in a pork stock and the croutons were rice croutons with herb and garlic seasoning. I used some sage, thyme and parsley. Mixed about a tablespoon of butter in with the dressing. I had about four times as much stuffing as I used and served some of that on the side.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,738
    You're right, that looks terrible! Should have sent it down to me for proper disposal :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • LS, are you smoking crack or something? That looks amazing!

-Rob
    Heh heh heh!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276
    edited November 2013
    yeah I guess whatever it looks amazing could you tell me what you stuffed it with please

Here is one I did a couple of years ago using three tenderloins splayed out and pounded together:

Procuitto and Calabrese salami
    Provolone, green onions and sliced garlic
    Sundried tomatoes, bomba
    Pile of Genoa salami
    All wrapped up
    Egged
    Very good

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • jtippersjtippers Posts: 509
    Wow... those look amazing. Definitely just got added to my list.
    LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
    ·
  • Looks pretty good there little guy. For pork loins, have found that there are two distinct "muscles", the meat is a darker colour. Don't know what they call it, but have found the centre of the loin is all the same muscle and "jelly rolls" much better. Excellent cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,543
    edited November 2013
    That looks crazy good Steven!

Speaking of bomba, have you tried this brand? IMHO, it's way better than Aurora's La Bomba ...

canuckland
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,000
    LS, are you smoking crack or something? That looks amazing!

-Rob
    Heh heh heh!

It's official! He is Toronto's very own Marion Barry! Welcome to the club!
    ·
  • I'll be glad when this thing goes away. I would be really embarrassed if I lived in Toronto.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • That's look delicious!
    ·
  • looks phenomenal LS.
    ·
  • Looks fantastic.  I've never done one..  
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·
  • Looks pretty good there little guy. For pork loins, have found that there are two distinct "muscles", the meat is a darker colour. Don't know what they call it, but have found the centre of the loin is all the same muscle and "jelly rolls" much better. Excellent cook. 
    I think this was a centre cut. They were on sale as a half cut. I think I just got the wrong end. The meat looked like a W when I pounded it out so I patched it the best I could.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I'll be glad when this thing goes away. I would be really embarrassed if I lived in Toronto.

LS, you got to love it when the mayor of Toronto is the lead story on both the BBC and CNN's websites!

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

·
  • I'm embarrassed being as close as I am. Wish I lived in BC sometimes. No, then I would have to start smoking pot and I really don't like it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·

LS, you got to love it when the mayor of Toronto is the lead story on both the BBC and CNN's websites!
    I'll bet Mel Lastman didn't even pull that off!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited November 2013
    Too bad AG didn't last long enough to 'outperform' him  :D

I couldn't remember his name but google came to the rescue when I searched on 'toronto councillor sex scandal', hit #1!
    canuckland
    ·
  • Another thought, did you Jaccard this before the pound? Have had very good luck getting a consistent square flattening if I Jaccard the spiral cut loin first. Family does not care for the stuffing I've used so we do not do it so much, your use of an Italian dry cure might just change that. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • As I said, I normally use tenderloin so it isn't really an issue. This was done on Sunday and my arm is still sore. I thought about using the jaccard after I finished, probably would have helped. I am not a smart man but pork products wrapped in pork makes a lot of sense to me somehow. I hate to admit this but I have done it with a bacon weave as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·