Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Le Crueset on the egg

krobertsmsn
krobertsmsn Posts: 655
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone use Le Crueset on the egg? I'm wondering if the beautiful exterior will get messed up. Thinking of doing chili. Almost got a Lodge yesterday but the guy talked me out of it, saying it might impart a metallic taste when acidic food is cooked in it or left in it a while. I told him I have Le Crueset and he suggested using it since it is porcelain coated. Thoughts? Thanks...
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• FWIW, I bought a lodge DO and have made chili twice with no metallic tastes.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Have one but wife would kill me, use my old CI Dutch oven and had no metallic taste at all.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• I knew I shoulda gone with it...dad gum it!!!
    Rome, GA
  • I have a 7.25qt french oven from le creuset and use it weekly on the egg. most guys on here put it on the ceramic plate setter separated by a few loose 1/2'' nuts or so. the debate on a light coat of soap on outside of DO is thrown around and you can peel it off after cook. my do looks like the day i bought it and use it on the egg alot. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/359991/le-creuset-on-egg

just be cautious of the temps if you use the lids. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    I'm still sleeping on the couch:)
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Just get one for your cave and she can't complain. Check TJMaxx occasionally for stuff. Dirt cheap and name brand.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    FWIW - Tramontina DO's were rated by Cooks Illustrated as a best buy several years back, and are a fraction of the cost of LC. You could use it as a dedicated egg DO, without fear of damaging your fancy one. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thanks, I'll check into it!
    Rome, GA
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I use my 9-qt on the Egg when making chili or baked beans.  I just use two big sheets of foil and wrap them over the edges into the pot.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    In terms of Cast iron DO leaching into foods(metallic taste), it is acidic foods that do this. I would guess tomatoes are the biggest culprit.
  • I don't think it's the taste, I believe it is just that you lose the seasoning on cast iron with acidic cooks. I mix hot water, oxy-clean, orange clean and dish soap and give my enameled stuff a good soak. They clean right up.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• echoing the comments above about not having any issues cooking with Le Crueset but I also spray the bottom and sides with Pam before putting it on. cleans right up with soap and water. I don't put any on the handles and they'll come clean too, just take a little bit more scrubbing   
  • Eggcelsior
    I don't think it's the taste, I believe it is just that you lose the seasoning on cast iron with acidic cooks. I mix hot water, oxy-clean, orange clean and dish soap and give my enameled stuff a good soak. They clean right up.
    It can be both. If you build up a good seasoning, acidic foods will strip some of it if given long enough without flavor alteration. For example, in a pan with thinner seasoning(like my Lodge, which I barely use), one's significant other may or may not make a meat sauce for pasta and leave it simmering for hours while waiting for me to get home. That night for dinner, one may feel like Count Dracula when said meat sauce has an iron-y, blood-like flavor. Similar to wet-aged meat.
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    I use my 9-qt on the Egg when making chili or baked beans.  I just use two big sheets of foil and wrap them over the edges into the pot.
    Curious why protect the edges?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    i use my lecrusett but at camp have a couple of inexpensive enameled knockoffs, look in places like marshals, target etc, you should be able to buy a 6 or 7 quart for under 50. i dont like chili cooked in a regular castiron but i use alot of tomatoes in chili. some get that metalic taste, others it doesnt seem to effect
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Big Ragu said:
    Curious why protect the edges?

Not protecting the edge, just wrapping the ends of the foil over them, down into the pot.

It's just for easy clean up.......that was the foil and the top of the soup/chili/beans/etc is the only exposed to the smoke.  Then I bring it inside and rip the foil off. 

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Costco has them every now and then for a reasonable price, if that's what will float your boat, spin your prop...

I like the regular "no condom" experience. Hence, Lodge. YMMV.

:))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• i dont use anything on mine...it does well and is still easy to clean. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Ikea sells CI Dutch ovens for much less than la crueset
    HFX NS
  • Eggcelsior
    The new Kirkland Signature branded DO's are now made in France instead of Thailand/China as the old ones were in case that matters to you. The enameled Lodge and most other brands you find are made in Asia.
  • caliking said:
    FWIW - Tramontina DO's were rated by Cooks Illustrated as a best buy several years back, and are a fraction of the cost of LC. You could use it as a dedicated egg DO, without fear of damaging your fancy one. 
    I have that same Tramontina and it's been fantastic. Can't beat it or the Lodge for the price.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • The guy did you a favor! I don't like tomatoes cooked in cast iron. Used my enameled cast iron Le Creuset on the Egg last week to make a boliche. Not pretty what 4 hours of smoke did to my pan!!! Wiped right off and came sparkling clean with a Mr. Eraser! Would still get one dedicated for the Egg though...just in case. Found mine super cheap in a thrift store. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I have that same Tramontina and it's been fantastic. Can't beat it or the Lodge for the price.
    I have had mine for several years. Enamel looks good. I swapped out the phenolic knob on the lid for a metal cabinet knob initially, for higher heat tolerance. Recently swapped that out for a Le Creuset knob ($12 on Amazon) because I was feeling fancy. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I have a Lodge CI that I use, I never tasted any metallic taste.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA