Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Alignment Issue

Options

Ok, so this was my 3rd time using my XL BGE. The first two times I used the egg, I cooked between 350 and 400 degrees to sort of break in the seal etc. Prior to my third use I tightened the nuts and bolts according to the instructions. I fired up the BGE to 600 degrees to bake pizza. I used the plate setter legs up. Then the grid then I had two fire bricks that were 4" tall I put on the grid then  set the pizza stone on the fire brick to raise it a little higher in the dome. All was good for the first pizza and for about 15 minutes. When I lifted the lid to put the second pizza on and closed the lid I noticed the lid didn't seal evenly. There was a seal as no smoke was escaping but the front portion of the lid was approximately1/4" back from the front portion of the bottom portion of the egg. It was like the lid shifted backwards approx. 1/4". Did this happen because of the heat? Did it some how come un-adjusted or what? I looked at it again in  the morning after it had cooled down completely and it was still not closing evenly all the way around. I have to admit I purchased this fully assembled so I have no idea how it was assembled or if there is an adjustment to move the lid back further to the rear. I would have to assume this has to have happened to someone else out there. Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated.

As a note, the pizza came out great but took a lot longer than expected to cook. That might be because I kept checking on it every 5 min or maybe due to the fact I had the pizza stone so high up from the lump coals. Not sure about that. The second pizza was almost over done. That one I put in and never looked at it until I took it out 15 minutes later.

I can see there is a learning curve the various aspects of the BGE.

Palm City, FL

Comments

• Luvflt
    Luvflt Posts: 63
    Options

Ok, well I am writing this just in case someone has the same problem. Since I got no response from this post, I called Customer Support. They were very helpful. Even though I tightened all the bolts prior to stoking the BGE up to 650 degrees, the heat did its number on the metal band and it must have loosened up. So... according to Customer Support (this is for the XL BGE Only) you need to loosen the lower carriage bolt slightly the raise the lower band so that it is just below the felt seal of the base. If you loosen it too much the band will slip down on one side as you raise the other so loosen it enough to move it but not enough for it to slip. It may also be necessary to loosen the top carriage bolt but only slightly. You may neeed to take a piece of wood and use it to tap on the lower ring to get it up into position. When the bottom ring is just below the felt all the way around the base then go ahead and tighten the lower carriage bolt. The upper ring is not critical. It will wind up being where ever it winds up being. The other key is that the two angle brackets that the carriage bolts goes through (upper and lower) should be approx 1/2 apart from each other when it is tightened. If this doesn't adjust the lid totally you can loosen the hex nuts that are connected to the hinge bracket on each side. You will see there the whole is large enough to move the lid forward or backward slightly to make the lid move forward or backward. That should resolve the issue.

I am not sure why the lower band moved as I had it pretty tight but I did not know about the 1/2" spacing on the l brackets so it may not have been as tight as it should have been. I will have to test this again the next time I make pizza. If in fact it slips again I may do like others and opt out of cooking at the really high temps to avoid this hassel. We shall see.

Hope this will help someone else who finds themself in the situation I was in.

Palm City, FL
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Thanks, nice to know you have it resolved. And CS helped you out.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    I find tightening after each of the first few lower temp cooks seals the tightness  and after this they stay tight.Don't ask how I know I actually got my whole band assembly replaced out of frustration.
    Thanks for the extra info though!!

Jamie.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options

Do This - Saw your post earlier but forgot to respond. Easy to fix.  Good Luck!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/discussion/1146499/help-my-bge-has-an-under-bite

Milton, GA.