Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Who has a brick oven, Any recommendations?

Options
Thinking I might bite the bullet and build a brick oven out back.  Most likely going to use the Forno Bravo Pompeii plans.

Anyone have any experiences they would share with someone like me?
Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• stevesails
    Options

wont the egg accomplish the same thing?

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The Egg is a brick oven.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• clbegis
    Options
    I have had a printed copy of their plans for a few years and read hundreds of their posts.  I would love to build one as well.  Just have not made that leap.  Be sure to read up on their cheater tool.

Good luck and share lots of pics.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Mickey said:
    The Egg is a brick oven.
    I have 2 eggs.  Its just not.

I have made 1 truly great 900 degree pizza in hundreds of attempts... I have come to grips with it is just to hard to have a ~700 degree stone and ~1000 degree above the stone temps.  I have tried it all.  I want consistency.

When I made the great ONE, the next one was too hot 5 minutes later.

2 eggs and a brick oven it will be.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Brick ovens are a cool conversion piece but, unless you put some serious thought into engineering it has a lot of limitations. We were going to go with a full blown brick oven / outdoor kitchen but, after putting pen to paper the investment was not worth the trouble. We bought the Large BGE and have 0 regrets. BGE is extremely versatile and an enjoyable cooking and eating experience. However, if you are hell bent on the brick oven idea here's a pic of one I was gong to copy. This one allowed for smoking or direct cooking. It also had misters for adding in moisture, a stainless steel sink, a warmer area, a double rotisserie 120 volt and had front and rear access to fire box for ease of cleanup. This one in the pic is tattered and old and needs a lot of TLC. Do the math and BGE will win hands down. Good luck to you :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    I hear you.  I have three eggs but still want to build a tandoor  :D
    canuckland
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No doubt I can picture a corrugated roof with exhaust, flat screen etc etc but, budget is a major factor inmaking a beast with this many tricks :-P. I'll stick with my BGE.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • rtt121
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL

That is a lofty outdoor kitchen!

I realize they are limited in ways, for me the XL and the M is enough to cook almost everything.  The brick oven would only be used for pizza. And maybe bread, but the egg is fine for bread too.
  • rtt121
    Options
    I will post pics of the process, if and when I do it.  (would start now but I have a chance at a much better paying job, in which case I would sell this house and move a little closer)  I will know by Thanksgiving.

I think I can make the Pompeii for >2500
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    check out the bbq-brethren.com site for some WFO builds. Folks have built some very cool ovens for themselves. Many have posted step by step progress pics, so you can get a good idea of what the process entails.

You may have already seen this suggestion, but when you lay the firebricks for the hearth, try and lay them diagonally to the direction of loading pizzas. That way the peel is less likely to catch on the edge of a brick in the hearth when you slide a pie in.

The forno bravo site is of course a wealth of information. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • rtt121
    Options
    Thanks @caliking I will check out BBQ brethren.  Not a site I frequent.. yet.
  • rtt121
    edited November 2013
    Options
    clbegis said:
    I have had a printed copy of their plans for a few years and read hundreds of their posts.  I would love to build one as well.  Just have not made that leap.  Be sure to read up on their cheater tool.

Good luck and share lots of pics.
    Cheater tool = Awesome.  Thanks for that!
  • caliking
    Options
    Here's one thread I just found: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650

Note how he laid the hearth. 

There's a search bar  at the bottom of the page on that forum. Search for "oven build" etc. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    My neighbor is planning a WFO for pizza, pizza is his thing, have learned heaps from him. Showed him my egg and tried to convince him an egg is the way to go. He has now convinced me that the egg is great as its so versatile, but for a dedicated pizza oven, a real WFO that can turn put 90 sec pies is the way to go. Now I want an outdoor kitchen with BGE, WFO, and a tandoor. Not sure it will ever happen though.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    edited November 2013
    Options
    @DMW: The egg is a great cooker, and if I could have only one grill/smoker I would probably stick with it. But devices dedicated to a specific type of cooking are likely to beat it... for that specific type of cooking. The egg comes close to being a tandoor, but I still prefer the results from my tandoor (I'm somewhat of a purist when it comes to Indian food. I'm Indian, so it's allowed :) ). If one has the space, time, money and inclination, its kinda fun to have a variety of  cookers.

BTW, if you want to build a tandoor out of a 55 gallon drum let me know and I can walk you through it. I built one several years ago and have been very pleased with it. It won't be pretty, but the food  it  puts out will beat the pants off anything you have eaten at a restaurant this side of the Atlantic.

• caliking
    Options
    @1310monster: because tandoors are generally not available for that price. I built mine for about $300 or less, but have never seen one for $400 in Chicago, Iowa, or Texas. Which is why I built my own. You're lucky to be able to get them at that price!

• bearcat
    Options
    Last fall I built a mud oven with the expert help of a neighbor. It cost 600 + in materials. My neighbor has built lots of them and has written books and taught classes about bread making, ovens etc... His blog is called breadhunter's blog - if you go back to last November you can see photos of my oven being built.

On completely the other end of the spectrum check out Maine Wood Heat - amazing products!!!!

As far as using the oven there is a definite learning curve. I am still very much a beginner. Pizzas are really fast. Be prepared to char a few and some hair or eyebrow...
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I was also wanting a brick oven. That's how I found the big green egg years back. The wfo is out of price range. I recently just bought a Blackstone pizza oven. It is gas but you can bake pies in 60 seconds or up to 2 to 3 minutes, depending on type of dough you are working with. I highly recommend it. http://www.blackstoneproducts.com/prodinfo/pizzaoven.html
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Caliking... I'm Indian, so it's allowed....

I didn't know you were native American. I'm part Cherokee.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Serious Eats' Slice has some threads on DIY ovens that are pretty good. Pizzamaking.com is a nice resource as well.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Caliking... I'm Indian, so it's allowed.... I didn't know you were native American. I'm part Cherokee.
    Uhh...hmm
  • caliking
    Options
    [OP - apologies for my OT responses, but you know how @henapple gets when theres more PBR inside him than outside of him :) ]

Funny (true) story - Lived in SC as a kid. I was the only Indian kid in school those days. One day walking out to the playground for recess, another kid says to me " I was talking with my grampa and told him there was an Indian kid in my class. He said that Indians lived in tribes, so what tribe are you from?" He wasn't being mean or anything, it was an honest question, and I didn't take offense at all. But I  didn't know where to start explaining. Recess would only last so long. So I just looked at him and said "Cherokee".

How was I to know that decades later I would find out that henapple is kin. My brotha from anotha motha. 

• Federalist226
    Options
    I have similar ambitions. A BGE does not do what a WFO does. I wonder if the semi-portable FB ovens aren't the way to go. When/if you move, you can take it with you. Plus, those Pompeii ovens look like a major project in terms of time and money. Keep us posted.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    have you tried even hotter, i can get a blue flame to hover over the stone at 1200 degrees dome temps so with the flame above the stone i believe the stone is actually cooler. 1200 dome seems to be as high as i can get without a fan
    :D pizzas cook in 53 seconds, i need to work on dough because i only have tried store bought at high temps but i do believe its possible, only down side i see is opening the dome
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • rtt121
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.  No worries for going off topic.. its an off topic post to begin with!

Portable sounds like a decent idea but I don't want to half ass this and I need to read up on them more.  The electric is cool... just not my style I guess.

I am ok with spending some money if I can get what I want out of it.  And the project part is half the fun for me!
  • rtt121
    Options
    I haven't gone hotter than about 1100 on purpose and I did this with a wok and sand.  I wasn't able to achieve the blue flames I have seen in your pictures. But even if I could I imagine I will only get 1 pizza before temps fluctuate.  Not to mention the fact that its about $15 bucks worth of lump just to achieve that 53 second slot that I might miss.

I don't use store bought dough and I am quite sure I have my dough where I want it for what I am trying to make.  It is on the soupier side of the dough spectrum.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    rtt121 said:
    I haven't gone hotter than about 1100 on purpose and I did this with a wok and sand.  I wasn't able to achieve the blue flames I have seen in your pictures. But even if I could I imagine I will only get 1 pizza before temps fluctuate.  Not to mention the fact that its about $15 bucks worth of lump just to achieve that 53 second slot that I might miss.

I don't use store bought dough and I am quite sure I have my dough where I want it for what I am trying to make.  It is on the soupier side of the dough spectrum.
    one thing i do notice with the big wood fired ovens that you cant do with an egg is to start the pie way in deep were its hotter, then start pulling the pie out to the front were its cooler
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • rtt121
    Options
    Agreed.  Watching the pro's and there WFO's.  They are always keeping the pizza moving.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You also can't "dome" the pizza at the end to finish it in the egg like you can in a real WFO. My neighbor is planning (saving) for one of the Frono Bravo non-permanent models. I think he has it down to one of the Primavera models, leaning towards the 70 last time I talked to him.  
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • rtt121
    Options
    I think I can build the 42" pompeii for cheaper than the 28" primavera