Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sriracha Hot Butt! (At least one pic...)

MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
Greetings friends!!

Someone mentioned using Sriracha instead if yellow mustard as a binder for their pork butts. I decided to tryout their idea with this eight pound shoulder.

Rub was Sriracha, fresh cracked pepper, garlic salt, red pepper flakes, and a bit of brown sugar rubbed in on top.

Harris Teeter lump stacked in a freshly blown out LBGE. Hickory chips strewn throughout the lump. Three fist size chunks went on right before the meat.

Small water bath of mostly Apple cider vinegar, chipotle flakes, and minced garlic.

Mavericked at 275* CGW lower swing grate indirect plate setter legs up.

Can't wait - hoping to have this done sometime during the football game.

Thanks for reading!
8-Damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    What the heck??  I google hot butt and I end up here??  You kiddin' me?

Living Large and XL

• Lilwooty, I was thinking the exact same thing. LOL. Masked, can't wait to hear how this turns out. While mustard typically does not impart much if any flavor, I gotta believe you will get something from the Sriracha. Yum!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Love me some rooster sauce, Waiting for the report,
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Yes, MM, please do share what that great sauce does to the cook!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Sure sounds tasty!

XLBGE 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    @lilwooty, fear not. The Masked Marvel will still be sporting a hot butt, next day after he is done eating it. :D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    You will get a nice little bite of heat on the bark. I use sriracha and BAd Byron's on butts most of the time. I like it but interested on your thoughts as well

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    edited November 2013
    I have two small butts in the fridge, planning to do them turbo tomorrow.  Tried turbo butt once with foil but didn't like the bark texture, going to turbo all the way with no foil this time.

Perhaps I'll do one @MaskedMarvel way (sans bath, I'm lazy!) and one @Mattman3969 way!
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Is it done yet? i can't wait to see this.

Just had an idea - a while back Cen-Tex had posted about a pork butt larded with jalapenos and garlic. Wondering how that would turn out with a coating of sriracha and rub. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • It's only at 145*. Decided to do it at 300* instead to move it along...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Mattman3969
    Open that Egg up and let it eat some lump :D:D

analyze adapt overcome

• Here ya go!
    imageimageimage
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Final verdict - aside from me having to toss half the butt back in because it wasn't pulling, the sriracha did almost nothing. My guess is there is a wee bit of heat. But nothing that wouldn't be more effectively and economically achieved using a nice paprika. Hadn't done pulled pork in a long time. Gotta keep it up here. Wow.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Bark looks damn good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    Love the meateorite!  Guess I'm not going to bother with scriracha on my butts tomorrow  :D
    canuckland
  • caliking said:
    Bark looks damn good. 

Bark WAS delicious. I really mix it into the white meat to get the most flavor. It was crispy, chewy... Amazing..
    Love the meateorite!  Guess I'm not going to bother with scriracha on my butts tomorrow  :D

I'd still try it, if I were you. Maybe I didn't use enough? I also have unlimited threshold for hot peppers (I win bets in bars all the time), so maybe I'm just not detecting it. I'd like to hear your results!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Mattman3969
    Would the Bad Byron's be playing a part in the heat that I get? I took some made that way to the MIL for lunch awhile back and got rave reviews on just the right amount of heat. I slather it heavy and put enough BB on that you barely can see the sricacha.

analyze adapt overcome

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

I did the same thing last weekend with a 10 pound butt. I was so disappointed in the flavor. I wanted it hot and spicy. I rubbed mine same way but I use a hot local rub called vodoo. I have used it before and had great success. I like to add cyan pepper and red pepper flakes also. I even put more sricacha and vodoo rub on foil before I wrapped it. I really thought I went overboard but in the end as stated above I was disappointed with the no heat or spicy flavor.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    What if you did an injection with it? I think it would be some Hot Butt!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch said:
    What if you did an injection with it? I think it would be some Hot Butt!!
    Sounds like a plan for the next one!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Mattman3969
    @MaskedMarvel - sorry it didn't meet the expectations. I am guessing I am a bit more sensitive to heat on the O'l taste buds. :D

analyze adapt overcome

• @MaskedMarvel - sorry it didn't meet the expectations. I am guessing I am a bit more sensitive to heat on the O'l taste buds. :D
    I use it like catsup on everything.  Guess I need to use more, inject it, and add it to a squirt bottle afterwards.  

The pulled pork WAS some of the best I've ever had though - SUPER moist, not really fatty or grisly...  A weird part didn't pull, so that went back in the Egg and will be reheated at work in the salamander for the gang there.  Maybe it'll break down enough that way..

Large BGE and Medium BGE