Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asked to cater

Our church is having a elders mtg first week of December. They've asked me to prepare the meat. They'll supply it or reimburse me. Two meats for about 15 -20 people. It'll be mostly men, but some will bring their wives.

Could do pork loin and filets?

Chicken and pork butt?

Ribs and chops??

Give me some ideas.

I'll cook everything at home and then transport in tin platters.

XLBGE 

Comments

• Just do all of the above, and I think they would ask you to cater events from now on!  All of it sounds great, but the chicken and pork butt sound like the classic choice and budget friendly option for a church gathering. Just my opinion.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I vote for chicken and pulled pork if its your first time catering. Simple but tasty and you can feed many mouths without breaking the bank. Sides could be mac n cheese and coleslaw? I know its not fancy, but it gets the job done and I bet you people will love the grub.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Yea my wife was thinking chicken and pork butt.

I think that would be safest. Smoke the butt and while it is FTC I can do the chicken!

XLBGE 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Consider making sliders with the pulled pork. I like Hawaiian rolls. When you make the sammiches, fill the meat holding the roll over the pan - you still get a good amount of meat in the sandwich and the extra falls back in to the pan.

Yeah, I'm frugal like that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking.  Don't waste a sliver of that pork!
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited November 2013
    Pork tenderloin is always good and foolproof. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Do you have liability insurance?  One thing that professional caterers have and hope never to need but it is a litigious world.

Gerhard
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I cooked butt and tenderloin for my neighbor's group. Did 8 tenderloin and a butt. Did 4 different types of loin. Whatever you do will be good. I love cooking for other people.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I like the suggestion of pulled pork and some pork tenderloins (the pork tenderloin is good on the hawaiin sweet rolls)
  • gerhardk said:
    Do you have liability insurance?  One thing that professional caterers have and hope never to need but it is a litigious world.

Gerhard
    I don't really think a church pot luck supper is the place to stir up a lawsuit, but thanks for the tip.  This is more informal I'm bringing the meat and others will bring sides and dessert. 

XLBGE 
  • I like the suggestion of pulled pork and some pork tenderloins (the pork tenderloin is good on the hawaiin sweet rolls)
    I know!! Me too! I think I will do that. maybe make a slaw one the side. 

XLBGE