Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter broke - what are the options?

I was cooking our normal Sunday evening dinner (salmon) and my plate setter broke. I had it leaning on 2 'legs' and dog knocked it over. Feel onto the flat part and the other ' leg' broke off. Before I replace it with another plate setter, I wonder what other options are out there. I have read many posts about the AR and related attachments. I do own a pizza stone. I only used the plate setter for low mad slow cooks and the occasional pizza. Any advice for replacement options? Thanks
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Cheapest would be some JB Weld.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JB weld and don't let the sous chef near it again......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Agreed...JB Weld is the way to go.  I broke off one of my PS legs when I tried to carry a hot PS too far from the egg and the heat went through my $10 Welding Gloves.  I had to put the PS down a little faster than it liked and one leg snapped off.  It has been JB welded back on for forever...
  • get in touch with you dealer take photos of broken plate setter and give the photo to the dealer and the dealer will send the photo to the mothership and they will replace your broken plate setter 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Cheaper options:
    1. JB weld
    2. Try to get a replacement from the dealer/mothership (don't know if it will be covered if it didn't break while cooking)
    3. Weber 18.5" replacement grid, 2 bricks, terracotta clay saucer - all usually available at HD/Lowes

$$ options:
    1. Buy a new platesetter
    2. Adjustable Rig

If you're going to spend some money, my vote is for the AR.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mother ship don't need to know the details it broke while doing a clean burn end of story 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I made my own. It's a $14 pizza stone, $8 stainless bolts/ washers and $9 weber grill. It works well as a raised grid too:)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I would go for a PSwoo3 from CGS. You can still use your plate setter as is and have a raised direct option plus it is really nice for removing a hot PS. My woo lives in both the small and large

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    One additional option that no one seems to have mentioned...a cast iron platesetter made by Innovations by Chance

Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

I broke a leg off of mine, so I broke the other two off and made a pizza stone out of it.

Then I bought the Kamado Joe deflector.......much better unit.

• IMHO lying to the mothership about how the ps broke negatively reflects on the community and makes it harder for us to file warranty claims in the long run. Not saying anyone WOULD lie, of course. But the bge warranty people have been so good, they may just replace the ps if you tell them it barely got knocked over and broke. They seem to be good people. Give them a chance.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I would not lie, personally.  Either fix it or replace it.  Karma is a beeatch.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ugh!  I just had a similar thing happen..

Didn't drop it or anything..opened up the grill after a relatively low degree cook (350 for chicken) and one of the legs cracked right off.  Barely touched it..for all I know, it was broken before I even picked it up out of the grill as the leg stayed in the grill when I pulled out the PS.

I bought through an authorized dealer, so wondering if they will replace it outright and deal with BGE corp separately.

If I did want to try to fix it, WHICH JB Weld do you use?  The only ones I can find appear to only be rated up to 500 degrees..

Thx..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Nice rig Jeremiah
  • SmokyBear said:

Ugh!  I just had a similar thing happen..

Didn't drop it or anything..opened up the grill after a relatively low degree cook (350 for chicken) and one of the legs cracked right off.  Barely touched it..for all I know, it was broken before I even picked it up out of the grill as the leg stayed in the grill when I pulled out the PS.

I bought through an authorized dealer, so wondering if they will replace it outright and deal with BGE corp separately.

If I did want to try to fix it, WHICH JB Weld do you use?  The only ones I can find appear to only be rated up to 500 degrees..

Thx..

Plate setter and stones are covered for 3 years. If it broke while cooking and you are under the 3 year mark, they'll replace it with no problem.
    Mark Annville, PA