Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

typical stall temp?

SaltySam
SaltySam Posts: 887
From everything I've read, the typical stall temp for a pork butt is around 160.  Mine leveled out at 147.  Then, went down to 142.  Been there a while, now.  I pulled the platesetter, stirred up the lump and added a bit more since the dome temp started to fall.  Replaced platesetter, put the pork back on, and dome is back at 300, grid temp is 315.  Meat is at 142.  

The dip in temp isn't a huge concern, but that seems pretty low for a stall.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• Each piece of meat is different Sam, some of them will stall before they hit 130.  Most important thing is maintaining temperature with the coals until the meat is done.  Are you cooking without a thermometer that updates your temps? Nothing wrong with that, at least Bo isn't overseeing your cook.  He'd be screaming at the meat because it stalled.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited February 2013
    And you may hit another semi-stall in the high 180's.  I've seen it take 4+ hours to go from around 188 to 194-this after the typical 160's stall.  Happens to me around 2-30% of pork butt cook.  YMMV-regardless-gonna taste great.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

82@Scottborasjr    I could have used some Pelini anger last night.  That boiling blood could have pushed through the stall quicker. 

It ended up being fine.  I decided to go turbo at about 155 degrees.  I pulled it at 195, FTC'd an hour, and then pulled it.  It's primed to go in the crock pot here in about an hour for an afternoon potluck at work.

I appreciate the late night advice! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    SaltySam...you must be a Husker also? Pelini anger lol :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL