Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lazy Sunday

Recovering from all the fun I had at Plano Eggfest. Figured I'd fire up the grill and smoke something. 15lbs of jalapeño cheese venison sausage. Been on the Egg for 45 minutes and holding steady at 145. image

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

image.jpg 2.2M
·

Comments

• Looking good!
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,757
    Forgot about the done thermometer. Can't use it when using the BGE extender on top of the adjustable rig.imageimage
    image.jpg 2.2M

Richardson, Texas

·
  • Been there done that!
    NW Iowa
    ·
  • Our 4 year old grandson made a pig of himself over your sausages. And I agree with him they were delicious
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Did you say hi to everyone or just shun the noobs? :((
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,593
    Good lookin sausage. The ones that were attacked by the therm will just have to be the chef's treat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    Two hours in. I talked to everybody who came by @henapple image
    image.jpg 2.1M

Richardson, Texas

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    Dammit... It's just me.

~X(
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    7 hours and done! Was able to stay below 180 till the last hour when I got impatient and cranked it up to 200 to finish. image
    image.jpg 1.8M

Richardson, Texas

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,593
    What IT do you pull them at? Are they fully cooked when you pull them?

They look gorgeous btw.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,439
    Sausage looks great @Griffin.  I have tried low & slow sausage cooks on my egg twice, and the casing was so tough I had to peel it to eat it.  I assume you do not have this issue.  What am I doing wrong?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    ·
    caliking said:

What IT do you pull them at? Are they fully cooked when you pull them?

They look gorgeous btw.
    150-155 which I feel comfortable with when I grind the meat myself. Then straight into an ice bath to stop the cooking. Toss 'me back on the grill to cook when I'm ready to eat one.

Richardson, Texas

·
    Cookinbob said:

Sausage looks great @Griffin.  I have tried low & slow sausage cooks on my egg twice, and the casing was so tough I had to peel it to eat it.  I assume you do not have this issue.  What am I doing wrong?

Haven't had that problem. I start at 140 no smoke for an hour. Then wipe down with a dry towel, apply smoke and bump it to 150 for an hour. Go up 10 degrees every hour till about 180 or 190 and wait. If I'm rushing, I'll go 200-205. Ice bath for 20-30 minutes after pulling them then bag, tag and freeze.

Richardson, Texas

·
    Done. So sick of smelling smoke after the Plano fest and this. Won't be Egging for awhile..at least till Tuesday.image
    image.jpg 2.4M

Richardson, Texas

·
  • Absolutely beautiful. I'm going to have to try that method. It sounds real good. And it would be easy to do with my Stoker
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Nice job, looks tasty.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Those look awesome! I've been wanting to get a grinder and make some myself.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,512
    That's impressive.  Really.  All the time and effort involved.  Where do get all the time to do this?  I'm sure the work is worth when all you need to do now is heat and eat. 
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·

@thailandjohn if you follow that method, make sure that your sausage recipe contains some type of Cure in it. It spends way too much time in the danger zone and people could get sick or even die otherwise (botulism)

@TUTTLE871 you were invited...

@shtunal3 you know you want to. If you do, I'd keep it simple on the first few attempts.

@500 I find time. Granted, this isn't something I have the time to do every weekend. One of the reasons I did 15lbs. This should last a good long while. I bought the pork to mix in on Friday. Pork and venison cubed up. Saturday night (after attending the Plano Eggfest and helping my brother install a new bathroom window), the meat went throught the grinder once (medium plate), spices added in, then back through the grinder on fine. Sunday morning, slept in a little late. Got up and mixed in the jalapenos and cheese, stuffed the sausage. Let air dry for about an hour while I lit a few coals in the mini. Transferred about 5 coals over to the large, added in all the racks and equipment and hooked up a pit controller. Got it stabilized at 140 and tossed in the sausage. Then its just a matter of waiting (and cleaning up the kitchen that I destroyed before Mrs G got back into town). Total cook time was only about 7 hours (11:30-6:15). You'd spend more time actually cooking a shoulder or a brisket than slow smoking sausage. You just need to break up the prep time into manageable chunks.

Richardson, Texas

·