Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foodsaver options - which one to buy?

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I am in need of a Foodsaver since I bought a SV Demi and am about to take the plunge into the world of sous vide. We freeze a lot of meat and prepared food, so it was high time we bought one anyways. The models I am considering are:

Costco's return policy is the best, Amazon comes second. Costco has a sale on the 4880 currently. I have a BBB 20% off coupon, so price is pretty similar. The included accessories do vary however.

My questions are:

-is it better to get a fully automatic one or one where the sealing is manually controlled? I feel like I would have better control with a manual one, if the food being sealed has some liquid in it.

- any difference between the vertical vs. horizontal ones? Little Steven recommended getting one with built-in storage for the bag roll.

- Are the extra bells and whistles worth it? Like having 2 different seal settings etc.? Pulse vac?

- whats the difference between the 2xxx, 3xxx, and 4xxx series?

- how does the foodsaver do with soups/stews?

The GameSaver model has been mentioned a few times and seems like the one to go with so far. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    i have the first one from costco.  no complaints, and you can stop and seal anytime (i do that when liquid is starting to suck up with marinades etc.)  they all seem the same to me, it is a confusing world.  supposedly the gamesavers have a better duty cycle, but I only use mine 2-4 times a week so it doesn't get crazy workloads.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @U_tarded - what made you pick that one over the 4880 sine it is the more expensive of the ones from Costco? The marinating canister? I would probably use mine 2-3 times a week, so maybe the Gamesaver is not necessary. 

Yeah - so many options. Figured it would be best to ask folks who have bought and used them. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have the first one also and its not $179 in the store I think its $139. I like mine and the quick marinator canister is awesome to get also. 10 minutes and it does a good job.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    mine didn't come with a canister but it had more rolls, i think i got it for like 149 about a year and half ago.  and it was the only one at the physical costco i was at. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I would like to buy one too. Anyone have details on the one at Costco? the 4880,

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would get the v4880 for the price it is this month. If you don't like it you can always return it with Costco. They were out of stock at my Costco this weekend.