Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-2-1 Method for Ribs good on the Green Egg?

Very simple question for those of you who have tried this before or use it. I love using the 3-2-1- method for spare ribs on my side fire-box smoker. But, now that I bought the egg, I have yet to cook ribs. I am curious if the 3-2-1 method works well on the egg or if it maybe makes the ribs too soft or even mushy? The reason I'm wanting to know is because I smoked a boston butt for pulled pork a couple weeks back for a good while and used the foil "texas crutch" to help speed along the stall when it got there. While the pork was good and everyone said they really liked it, I personally felt it was somewhat mushy. After cruising the forums for that issue it seemed I wasn't alone and lots of guys blamed the additives to some major grocery store-bought cuts of meats. So the question is, do you use the 3-2-1- method on the egg for spare ribs (not a huge fan of loin back ribs after I tried spare ribs) and does it consistently turn out good, tender ribs or are they "too" tender and mushy? Also, I usually prefer to trim them into St. Louis style, remove the membrane then add a dry rub, applying some sauce the last 20 minutes of cook. Thanks.

Comments

• I have done this method many times and will give you fall off the bone, borderline mushy, depending on the size of the spares. My wide for one prefers the fall off the bone style so it's all in what your looking for.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• I usually do ~5 hours, indirect at 250ish, and they always turn out great. Good barkiness, comes off the bone with a slight tug, and plenty juicy. I tried doing a 2-2-1 method one time and everyone agreed that the ribs turned out to use your term "too soft and mushy". Never doing that again. 
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Almost any method will work on the BGE for ribs-I prefer the 5-0-0 cook as I don't use the foil and offer the sauce on the side.  That said, if I know guests like fall-off-the bone and/or carmelized ribs I will adjust the cook.  Foil is the gateway to "fall-off-the-bone" ribs and soft bark on pork.  So, it that's your objective then 3-2-1 or some derivative will get you there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    So many ways to cook ribs, I've converted to turbo recently. 350, 2 hours no peek for St Louis. Not mushy, good bite, good bark.

Good luck! :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Newbie here...what is 3-2-1 method?
  • williamadamsesq
    williamadamsesq Posts: 155
    edited November 2013
    3 hrs on the grill just tossed on after rubbing, wrap in foil for 2 hrs, remove foil and put on the grill for, 1 in sauce. 250 indirect.
  • I have great success with the 3-1-1 method. Passes the bite test every time. For me, 3-2-1 leaves them overdone.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    3-1-1 works best for me on the MBGE at 225-235 or so
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Thanks all. It sounds like perhaps the 3-2-1 should maybe be adjusted to the 3-1-1 or similar with less time in the foil. I guess I'll just have to try a couple methods and see how they turn out.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I use the 6-8-3 method. Sam Adams, PBR and Woodford... What the ribs taste like... Who cares.?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ribs won't dry out in an egg with a drip pan full of water sitting on the legs up platesetter. I only foil my wife's beef ribs because she likes them falling off the bone. 3-1-1 is plenty.
  • I use to cook spares and bb's with the 3-1-1, but find the 4.5-0-.5 much more satisfying and far less futsy.  Cook them at 250-275ish for the duration, and apply fav sauce for the last 1/2 hour.  I believe this is basically the Car Wash Mike's method.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe