Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket flat

Options
I am attempting my first brisket today and will really appreciate any feedback along the way! I've started with a 6 lb flat from publix. After reading several recipes on here and elsewhere I'm sticking closely to ray lampe's video on the bge site. It seems the simplest for my first attempt. Here's what I'm figuring: rubbed both sides with dizzy pig steak rub. I'll put it on far side down 3-4 hrs then flip to fat side up, after 5-6 hrs (165 internal) pull and wrap in foil and add 1/2 cup coffee (I might use beef broth) wrap tightly and 2 more hrs. 205 internal.? That's the video and that's based in a bigger flat than mine, so I'm guessing my times will be shorter and I'll be leaning heavily on my temp probe? One other variation is I forgot to get wood chunks and only have apple. So I used three of those.
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Flats are always a fun cook and your process of following the BGE recipe for the first go will give you a good base-line.  As with anything, practice improves the process so keep some notes from this cook and then adjust as you see fit going forward.  FWIW-and let us know how it turns out.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    9:20 am. It's on...
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

+1

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Good luck.

What size egg do you have?

I'll be interested to hear if you had enough lump to get through the expected 8 hrs. I usually make sure my lump comes up the the top of the fire box for a long(er) cook.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    One big thing with brisket is to remember that temp is a guide and you must cook until tender. Probe goes in without any resistance. I have had then go tender any place between 184 and 207.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Jeremiah
    Options

Good luck.

What size egg do you have?

I'll be interested to hear if you had enough lump to get through the expected 8 hrs. I usually make sure my lump comes up the the top of the fire box for a long(er) cook.

It's a large. Now you have me worried about the amount of lump too. We'll see I guess.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    One big thing with brisket is to remember that temp is a guide and you must cook until tender. Probe goes in without any resistance. I have had then go tender any place between 184 and 207.
    +1

I have done multiple flats and my results have varied. Flats can be tricky but remember that if it seems dry at the end you can always chop it and add sauce for some super tasty sandwiches.
     Don't get discouraged if you have less than stellar results with flats, just get a packer trimmed brisket(they are as easy as cooking a pork butt, just with a smaller window for tenderness) Lots of luck and keep us tuned in!
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Just got home from church. The temp had fell to 200! I also pulled the apple chunks for fear that they might be too sweet.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Dont sweat the apple chunks, they will taste great with beef. I have never been able to over smoke beef with fruit woods.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Great info above-and I don't know what the video will tell you about slicing-but don't slice til ready to eat (dries out before your eyes) and then slice against the grain.  If timing permits give it around an hour with FTC (Foil, Towels and Cooler) before digging in. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options

Here are some links to drive you toward "brisket info overload" for your reading and Q'ing pleasure:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-

• Jeremiah
    Options
    Seems that cooking brisket is like have sex-- everyone does it differently but arrives at the same..er.. Never mind. Seriously, Thanks for the reading! I just hope I don't ruin this one too bad that we want to try it again.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Well, it wasn't enough lump. Fire ran out. Meat at 189. I've put it the oven to finish. Worse is I told everyone we'd eat at 4:30, and here we are 45 minutes later. Crap.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    It was excellent. Next time I'll definitely pile on more lump and make sure to have bigger pieces. Also I'll make sure to add in a little leeway in done time too. Even with the problems it was tender and moist. I had gravy in case but used the juice that was left in the foil instead. Thank you all for your comments and help!
  • lousubcap
    edited November 2013
    Options
    @Jeremiah-any time the guests enjoy then you have a winner.  Next time ride the FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler) cushion to alleviate the stress of timing a cook.  With Q it is always a matter of temp vs time-like any good cook. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Very strong lookin smoke ring!! The glistening moisture says it all.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.