Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp got away from me

Cooking a spatchcock chicken and had the grill stabilized at 350 for about an hour. When I added a pork tenderloin I didn't pay attention to the daisy wheel opening up on me. Went back to check, ten minutes later, and the temp was around 425. Everything turned out fine, however is there a quick way to bring the temps back down? I closed the bottom vent and barely had the daisy wheel open trying to get the temp down, but that's slow. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
XL BGE

Comments

• Other than pouring water on the fire, which I would not recommend or do, restricting the air flow is the only way to bring the temp down. It is not a quick process!

I've done exactly the same thing as you and have gotten in the habit, once I've got the temp I want and the top set I make sure that it is turned with the screw towards the front of the egg and the tab lined up in a line perpendicular to the back of the egg. This at least prevents the daisy wheel from moving when the lid is opened and closed.

I know there are many here that don't use the daisy wheel at all to help with temp control so, that's another option.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I will try that, thanks.
    XL BGE
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Open the lid for 10-15 seconds or so, maybe a couple of times. That will drop the temp real quickly, Then get the DW and vents back where you want them and bring the temp back up to where you want it.  Works for me.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    @Seanr7-here's a link that has pics of the DFMT alignment that TOTN was describing: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm (Look at para # 46).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks for posting that link @lousubcap... those pictures do a better job than my not so clear explanation.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Open the lid for 10-15 seconds or so, maybe a couple of times. That will drop the temp real quickly, Then get the DW and vents back where you want them and bring the temp back up to where you want it.  Works for me.
    @Cookinbob, I understand what you're saying but curious to know if this method works for both direct and indirect cooks? 

I can understand on an indirect cook that this would help to cool down the ceramics but for a direct cook it would seem to have less effect as you are not reducing air flow.

@Cookinbob, I understand what you're saying but curious to know if this method works for both direct and indirect cooks? 

I can understand on an indirect cook that this would help to cool down the ceramics but for a direct cook it would seem to have less effect as you are not reducing air flow.
    You are correct, I do this on indirect cooks, have not tried on direct cooks.  I don't feel that cooling the ceramics is the impact of opening the lid, my theory is it just lets the hot air out.  I find that after 15 seconds, it takes a good bit of time for temp to recover at the grate (again measured with the Maverick, which I have become a slave to).  When the vents are tight, air flow and convection are minimal, and you don't get so much radiant heating at the lower temps.

Reducing the size of the fire just takes patience.  Yesterday mine got away and I ended up closing the bottom vent for 4-5 minutes.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Its like driving a ship. Once you oversteer, its a b!tch to get back on course. Farkign around with the DFMT settings bugged me, so I bought the eggware/smokeware ss cap. Replaces both the ceramic rain cap and DFMT, and holds its settings. One of the best things I've purchased for the egg. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Or don't use any cap. I just use the bottom vent to control temps unless I'm shooting for 300 or lower.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Temps starting to get away from me today too. 16 degrees too high but that's ok as I'm losing patience and ready for the sausage to be done, LOL.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings