Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my egg is holding 2'' of water

Options
any help? i think the rain last night filled up my egg. the lump on the grate is dry which tells me it came from slide door. usually the egg is covered but not last night. any concerns here? i cleaned it out and got it dry and lit her up. 
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I think all you would be concerned with is mold growing had you not have caught it. But since you did and have it burning now to dry out, I would think it should be fine.

Best of luck!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• plumbfir01
    Options
    ok great. thanks

Beaufort, SC
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Was the slide door closed? That seems like a lot of water to get into the egg that way?

I agree with @jtippers that you're probably okay.

By the way, is your egg in a table or nest? Seems like it might have been hard to get all of the water out if you were not able to tip it a bit.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    2"?....through the slide?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    i actually stuck a tape measure into it... I pulled out the firebox and all the guts and used a cup to bail for awhile and then used a sponge and finished with paper towels... slide door was close, but was full of water on the slide door tract. egg sits on a table with paver under it.. way to much water i thought but not sure how else it could have happend. it looks like we had over an inch of rain last night within 4hours... still not sure how so much water got in. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    What kind of shape is your gasket in? Maybe the water came in through there and just ran down the inside of the base; not affecting your lump.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    its time for a new gasket.. it lets air out sides on any cook
    Beaufort, SC
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Might also want to look at your dome alignment. If it's off a bit that might have allowed water to roll down the outside of the dome and hit the lip of the base; rather than rolling on down.
    Bet it hit the dome, ran down the outside and thru the gasketless seam to the inside of the base. The surface area of the dome is easily twice the area of the bottom of the base so 1" of rain might be 2" in the BGE rain gauge. 
    Don't understand how it held water, I'd think it would have run out around the sliders, maybe there was enough ash it kinda cemented itself shut. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    oh it was full of ash.. today was the day to clean it anyway
    Beaufort, SC
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    I am thinking gasket    Unless it was raining sideways
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Sometimes the Egg just has to do something crazy to get our attention, now clean him, and get him back in the game!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Good idea to fire it up. I keep it low and slow at first.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    Got it clean and dry before I made Dyal's Jalamango Wings... Holy cow those were amazing! I let the egg sit at 250 for 30 min before going to 375 to do wings... I assume it's good now?
    Don't let my egg sit more then 3 days without cooking, usually every other day this time of year
    Beaufort, SC
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    My vote goes to water getting in via gasket too. No way that much got in through the bottom vent. My Egg sits out uncovered. When cleaning ash out, I have noticed what looks like some ash that had been wet too. I guess I have never checked after a rain to see how much water was in there though. I even leave my bottom vent open to allow fresh air in to prevent mold if it's a while between cooks.
  • baychilla
    Options
    I've found that the best thing to do after it rains is cook in the egg - so far it's been mold free (and I've only had one issue of the egg having the 'runs').

Near San Francisco in California