Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork belly = bacon

2»

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    @blukat 6.25% nitrite and no nitrate is what you are looking for. Sounds like you got the right stuff.

Well, just a waiting game now.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • just put 10.8 lbs in the fridge.heading out tomorrow until Friday night. Smoke saturday or sunday and start another one. you will love it. which cure did you use? I always add the maple syrup-caramelizes when you cook it. Pig fat + sugar+ heat= awesome
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I used the recipe you posted... What's the finishing glaze?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Oh... I used the brown sugar
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    We are in the process of enjoying my first batch of homemade bacon. I bought an 8 lb pork loin at Sam's, cut it in half, and cured each separately. I used Morton Tenderquick at the rate they recommend on the package. One I added white sugar, one brown. I cannot tell a difference - at all. Both were hot smoked together with Hickory to 150 deg internal. 

I did a lot of research before attempting this and saw a lot of recipes calling for numerous spices to use during cure. Quite frankly, we are MORE than pleased with how the dead simple recipe we used turned out. I cannot imagine anything else being added to the cure making it any better. Turned out to be very, very good back bacon.

I am intrigued by the cold smoking though. How is it advantageous to hot smoking like I did? 
  • twlangan said:
    We are in the process of enjoying my first batch of homemade bacon. I bought an 8 lb pork loin at Sam's, cut it in half, and cured each separately. I used Morton Tenderquick at the rate they recommend on the package. One I added white sugar, one brown. I cannot tell a difference - at all. Both were hot smoked together with Hickory to 150 deg internal. 

I did a lot of research before attempting this and saw a lot of recipes calling for numerous spices to use during cure. Quite frankly, we are MORE than pleased with how the dead simple recipe we used turned out. I cannot imagine anything else being added to the cure making it any better. Turned out to be very, very good back bacon.

I am intrigued by the cold smoking though. How is it advantageous to hot smoking like I did? 

so......you are Canadian, I presume? You would not cold smoke pork loin. We are talking belly but i love back bacon as well.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Sadly this is something that is not financially viable for me.  The places that will order pork belly charge more for it than Hobbs bacon which I quite like.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    twlangan said:

so......you are Canadian, I presume? You would not cold smoke pork loin. We are talking belly but i love back bacon as well.
    Not Canadian - but close, hey. Wisconsin.

I have a whole case of large pork butts in the freezer that I picked up for the very reasonable price of $1.15/lb. I planned to make bacon out of some of them, but wanted to try it out on some smaller cuts first to find a method & recipe we liked. Can I assume that butt bacon should be hot smoked too? I plan to try some belly bacon some day too if I can find some at a decent price. Local locker plant seems to be pretty proud of his meats with what he charges for stuff.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    If you have any Asian or international stores in your area check them out. They have really good prices on pork belly in my area. I did order from a butcher though, but they were about the same price.
    Dunedin, FL