Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best deal on a CI grid for mini?

Options
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Best deal? seriously if you have the tools make your own! Just cut it out of a larger cast iron grate. It really is easy to do. Here's the cast off from my small...the min is even easier!image
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    I see how it would be easy... But alas, I am short a larger CI grid as well... :(

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Think I paid $35 from the tucker store. I have the stainless and cast iron and I would say get the stainless. I hate how the cast iron rusts if not used for a little while. I opened my small the other night and rust all over the grate after only 2 weeks or so of not using it and it was seasoned and stored in the egg.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    @lit - I was wondering about rust... Thanks for the insight.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @RRP: now that's a great idea! What brand grate did you use to cut it out of? And where did you buy it?

@Lit - I agree. I feel like the CI grates are just for cosmetic grill marks. I stopped bothering about mine rusting. Brush the rust off them a bit, spray them with Pam and let them heat up before cooking.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I only have CI pans, gave away 3 CI grills. Now it is all SS grills and no worries
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    caliking said:
    @RRP: now that's a great idea! What brand grate did you use to cut it out of? And where did you buy it?
    I thought I had a file, but can not find it, but I made that 8 years ago out of a replacement grate for a Charm Glow brand gasser. I recall I bought it at Lowe's and simply went there looking for a grate large enough to cut my circle out. BTW they were two to a package and I do have a record where I sold the other one "at my cost" to Retired RailRoader for $18.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.