Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole ribeye with pics

Options
Bought an 8.5 lb whole ribeye (boneless) on sale this summer and threw it in the freezer. 5 months later I decided to pull it out and see if it would be any good. I got the egg stabilized at 300, indirect, legs up. I put a drip pan in there with a mixture of onion soup mix, water, beef stock, and red wine. The plan was to use this as an au jus but as it turned out, there must not have been enough liquid in the pan because after the 2.5 hour smoke it had mostly evaporated so we didn't use it. Used mesquite wood and smoked it for about 2 hours and 45 minutes around 300 and took the internal to 130. Pulled it off to rest for half hour and the temp climbed to 134. Used garlic salt, Montreal steak seasoning, and some Rufus Teagues spicy meat rub on the outside. My dad and I like it rare but others in the family like it more done. The middle was pretty solid medium rare and the outer pieces were more medium. It turned out pretty good. I'd like to try to get a crisper crust and sear it next time but its also a gamble overcooking the inside.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    That looks great.  You are right about the potential for overcooking when you add a sear at the end but when you get it right it is awesome.  If you do try that in the future, pull it off at about 115 then sear it... Or just make another one like this and declare victory.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looks like a nice hunk of beef... How was the mesquite flavor? I haven't used any smoke woods when doing a rib roast before, just using the lump itself.
  • WiltOnTilt
    Options
    hapster said:
    Looks like a nice hunk of beef... How was the mesquite flavor? I haven't used any smoke woods when doing a rib roast before, just using the lump itself.

I liked the mesquite on there. It wasn't super strong but definitely added extra flavor.