Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Attempt of Smoked Cheese in progress

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Been wanting to try this for awhile. Small pile of used lump in my XL. Apple wood chips added once it was lit. PS with a pan of ice on top. Mild cheddar just went on. Vents barely cracked, grid temp is 88* right now. Might need to close the bottom vent entirely...
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• DMW
    Having trouble keeping the temp down, its up to 117*, hmmm... Time for an Amazen Smoker.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I have an A-Maz-Ing cold smoker, that make great smoke gouda.  It is fussy to keep burning, but stays cool.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• DMW
    I ended up closing everything down so tight fire went out. Spent about 1.5hrs on, just vacuum sealed it and in the fridge. Now to see if I can wait 4 or 5 days. Gouda is on my list, but wanted to figure it out with something cheap first.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    nice, I'm really interested to see how this turns out.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Cold smoking bacon next weekend... Might throw some cheese on. Gouda?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    Smoked Gouda is really good. Not sure how much advice I can give though at this point. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Love seeing all the different ways folks cold smoke and it looks like it is gonna turn out well. Of all the things I've made on the Egg, smoked cheese seems to be the biggest hit and the easiest. Hope you can make it the 5 days before having a taste. :)
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

Nice. Cheese smoking can be addictive. I have one these. This was out before the amazen smoker. Works great. I think either one will get the job done.

http://www.macsbbq.com/cold-smoker-usa

• DMW
    Griller said:

Love seeing all the different ways folks cold smoke and it looks like it is gonna turn out well. Of all the things I've made on the Egg, smoked cheese seems to be the biggest hit and the easiest. Hope you can make it the 5 days before having a taste. :)

I'll be traveling for work Wed-Fri this week, so I will have to wait. Will visit the Mothership Friday morning.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• You might want to ask Gary (Canugghead). He uses the coffee can and soldering iron method. His stuff is really good!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    You might want to ask Gary (Canugghead). He uses the coffee can and soldering iron method. His stuff is really good!
    I was just going to suggest this method. It works well.
  • DMW
    OK, I have a soldering iron I haven't used in probably 10 years. Sounds like a great idea.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• I think you use briquettes at the bottom and your smoke wood on top.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    edited November 2013
    Thanks Steven.

Actually it's wood chips only.  No lump grate, wiggle iron occasionally to expose fresh chips to the hot tip.  

Caution: if your soldering iron does not have a metal shield, like my blue one, make sure the plastic doesn't touch the can, how do I know? 

canuckland
  • DMW
    Thanks @Canugghead I have one just like your black one.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    How long do you smoke it for? And is it better to do a large block or take that block and cut into several smaller blocks to get maximum smoke coverage. Would cold smoking bacon be done in a similar fashion? Saw a YouTube video on it with use of a Stoker but that was NOT "cold" smoking.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    When I'm smoking cheese I smoke for 2 hours.  Some like more smoke, some less, but you need to try it and see what your personal tastes are.  To me the most important thing is to vacuum seal and let the cheese sit in the fridge for 6 weeks after you smoke it.  The 6 week rest seems to let the smoke permeate the cheese and softens the edge of the smoke (it tastes like an ashtray if you try to eat it right after taking it off the Egg).

As for cheeses, my favorite is gouda but I also like the heck out of smoked havarti, smoked gruyere and smoked cheddar.
  • DMW
    I go 90 minutes of smoke usually. I vac seal and rest in the fridge for a minimum 2 weeks. I've never been able to wait 6. Maybe I'll try the 2 hour/6 week combo next time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    Can it stay vac packed longer? I ask because this sounds like a cool idea as a Holiday sort of gift.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    Yep, I did that last year for Christmas. Cold smoked cheese and almonds and packaged up little packs for gifts at our annual Christmas party.

Can it stay vac packed longer? I ask because this sounds like a cool idea as a Holiday sort of gift.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    Thanks @DMW‌ almonds done in the same fashion? Raw almonds unsalted? Do you salt them or simply cold smoke? Cool idea for Christmas etc. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    @NPHuskerFL Seems like today is the day to link to my old posts. :)

Charcuterie is an awesome book. If you don't have it already, buy it. If you want the recipe before it arrives, here you go.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    @DMW‌ hey be flattered :-D. Thanks it's not to often one would think of Christmas gift giving in.....June. lol but, I like to be prepared. Could one refrigerate 6wks or so & then deep freeze and not hurt the cheese?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    @NPHuskerFL No, cheese doesn't freeze well, the texture gets all crumbly. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    NPHuskerFL said: 
    hey be flattered :-D. 
    I think I'm gonna need a bigger hat my head just got so big. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• NPHuskerFL
    @DMW‌ bummer :-( okay so I'll just make some for "family test purposes" first. ;-). Thanks I'll read the archived threads also. Much appreciated.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    @NPHuskerFL I was JK. I found it kind of funny that cold smoking came up twice today.

Here's some more almond links. :))

These are really good make with smoked almonds as well, sweet/smoky combo.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Try smoking pecans. Gooood stuff. I've done almonds also. Pecans are softer. After smoking, while still warm, sprinkle crushed kosher salt or crushed smoked salt on the nuts and toss to coat.
    I think I tossed with a small amount of olive oil then fine crushed salt.
    I'd add more, but circumstances will not allow me to reply very soon.
    Try it and enjoy..
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    2 hour smoke. 4 week rest. Big blocks cut down to 2" x 1" however long. Amazon smoker method. I use the sawdust where some here use the pellets. Gouda is awesome but my favorite is Swiss. No need to buy fancy cheese
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos