Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bacon skin question

yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
I can't find anywhere about removing skin before curing. Am I supposed to remove the skin before or after the cure, or after the cold smoke? Thanks!
Dunedin, FL
·

Comments

• after the smoke.you can remove it before if you want to render it for lard but I do it after. It's much softer after the smoke so you can shave just the very top off. I like to leave as much fat on the bacon as i can.

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Thanks cen-tex! Mixing up the cure as we speak.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • yzzi said:
    Thanks cen-tex! Mixing up the cure as we speak.

I'm right there with you. 12 lbs going in this afternoon

·
    Just cut a 9 pound belly in two and rubbed the cure and put them in ziplock bags and into the fridge. About as easy as it gets so far. If only I didn't have to wait a week.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • 10.8 lbs (3 pcs) just went in the cure.

·
    edited November 2013
    10.8 lbs (3 pcs) just went in the cure.
    I'm not really sure what this belly should feel like. Trying to decide if I should smoke it today or tomorrow. Should I soak in water a couple hours tonight and let it dry out in the fridge overnight and cold-smoke tomorrow?
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 487
    @yizzi when it's cured fully, it should be quite firm to the touch, but not rock hard and be a nice pink color. I've never soaked mine, just gave it a good rinse and oat dry. From everything I've read, you definitely want to let it sit in the fridge overnight uncoverd to form a pelicle. This laws the surface tacky and helps the smoke adhere. Good luck, you're going to love it.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
    ·
  • all sounds good to me. I don't dry it out in the fridge but it can't hurt. It does form the pellicle but with 12 hrs of smoke, you are going to get plenty of smoke no matter what

·