Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lost my ceramic capper today

Through a rather bad turn of events I lost the ceramic capper to my LBGE today.  I figure - no problem Ill just go to the BGE site and order another.  Not so simple.  I went to the site and not only was there no price but there was no way to order directly through the site.  Wonderful.  This is nearing 2014 and the lack of fully functioning web presence is greatly disturbing.  Perhaps someone with an iota of e-commerce knowledge should be whispering in the ear of the mothership?

(I've sent an email but am not holding my breath).
Near San Francisco in California

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Lost, broke? There's a member here that custom makes them... I'll try to find out.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2013
    they don't sell direct on the web- they only sell through retailers. i would recommend getting the smokeware stainless cap instead. http://smokeware.net. they do sell on the web. stlcharcoal is a distributor for them as well so shoot him an email or PM and he will hook you up. he is a forum member.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    That's a good thing actually. Buy the ss cap from smokeware or a dealer who stocks them and thank me later. :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    @billybon... He was on this am.
  • if you don't want the stainless, I'm ordering mine this week.I'll work a deal with you on my large ceramic that will make you very happy
  • henapple

if you don't want the star nless, I'm ordering mine this week.I'll work a deal with you on my large ceramic that will make you very happy

Is your ceramic large?
  • henapple said:

if you don't want the star nless, I'm ordering mine this week.I'll work a deal with you on my large ceramic that will make you very happy

Is your ceramic large?

And green .......
  • henapple
    Yuck...
  • I have a new one that I will sell if your intrested pm me
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • So this may be a blessing in disguise?  Anyone run the Smokeware SS cap with a BBQ Guru cooking device?
    Near San Francisco in California
  • they don't sell direct on the web- they only sell through retailers. i would recommend getting the smokeware stainless cap instead. http://smokeware.net. they do sell on the web. stlcharcoal is a distributor for them as well so shoot him an email or PM and he will hook you up. he is a forum member.
    Actually you can call the Mothership and they do sell.  I bought some other BGE items that way  770-934-5300

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Sorry I missed this discussion. We can customize a ceramic damper for you. Check out my listings on ebay (Class-act)  to get an idea of what we can do. Here is a damper that I designed for an Ohio State fan.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited November 2013
    NT

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Nice top????

Charlotte, NC LBGE

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    FWIW I'm really happy with my Stainless one, I've had it a few weeks and I absolutely prefer it to the Daisey. I never had a capper so it covers that also (pun intended)
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    On the stainless vent - When I am cooking about 350-400 I usually have the DW slid over 1/2 way, the petals open and the bottom vent ~ inch.  How big are the vents on the SS top?  WIll I be able t okeep these same settings at 350-400?  If I take off the DW the temps are over 500 in a few seconds.

Garnerville, NY
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited November 2013
    baychilla said:
    So this may be a blessing in disguise?  Anyone run the Smokeware SS cap with a BBQ Guru cooking device?
    Sure do - I switched to the SmokeWare cap back in May and have never taken it off except once to clean it a couple weeks ago. There is a short learning curve, but my suggestion is stick with it and never go back to the cast iron cap.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    The ss cap is far better than the ceramic cap/DFMT combo. Here's why IMO:

1. The ss cap won't break if it falls.

2. The DFMT would swing open when I opened the lid. I even added springs between the screws and the body of the DFMT for some tension. Yes, I know about aligning the axis of the screws perpendicular to the hinge, but after a few libations, knowing and remembering are two very different things. 

3. The ss cap is a one piece, multifunctional deal. Replaces both the ceramic cap and the DFMT. You don't have to switch between two things when you want to cook and shut things down. Any temp you can maintain with the DFMT you can maintain with the ss cap. 

4. Folks have speculated that you burn more charcoal when shutting down with the ss cap. I doubt this is true. The ss cap comes with a strip of gasket to line the cap base or the top vent, so it makes a snug fit. Someone needs to show me objective test results to prove that the ss cap leaks more than the ceramic cap during shut down.

5. It keeps the rain out. 

6. For $40, it has increased my happiness qoutient with the egg immensely. It is used for almost every cook, so it was money well spent.

7. ss is shiny. I'm a simple guy. I like shiny things. 

If you have your heart set on a ceramic cap then @billybon 's look very nice. I don't know how much they run though.

• I see a little more smoke coming from the ss cap than the BGE cap when I shut down  so maybe a little more air is still passing through but not enough to make me go back to the solid cap.

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)

• caliking
    Sorry, I meant to say that someone needs to prove that the ss cap burns appreciably more lump during shut down than the ceramic cap. My bad.

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    How about the issue with the gasket, that comes with it melting, has that been fixed with the new high temp gasket?

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• caliking
    I had some leftover BGE gasket that I used instead of the one supplied.

• They are shipped with an impoved gasket now. See the review by Naked Whiz.

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)

• fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Will the Large Green Cap fit and XL?
  • Medium, Large and XLarge are all the same size caps.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

They come with a Nomex gasket and a rubber tab on the adjustment lever now.......but I used a Cotronics gasket on my personal one.  It will fit the M, L, and XL (not the small or mini.)

I have about a dozen of them in stock, just email me if you want one.

• This is my small.  I broke the cap and JB Welded it into it's new Frankenstein design. 

Flint, Michigan
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I have the ss cap and love it.  I installed the supplied gasket on to the cap, rather than the egg itself.  No problems with melt at all.

BTW, If you go to www.smokeware.net and call Matt, he'll give you a 10-15% discount.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Cool device. I don't mind using the dfmt but if my rain cap breaks, this may find its way to my house.
    Mark Annville, PA