Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket and Burnt Ends Cook (from Serious Barbecue cookbook) with pics!

bicktrav
bicktrav Posts: 640
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
Over the weekend, I bought a brisket and used the brisket recipe from Adam Perry Lang's Serious Barbecue cookbook.  It's ridiculously involved with several steps.  You start by covering the brisket with a paste, then a seasoning, then you smoke it for a hours, then pull it and put it in foil with a wrapping mixture, then spray it every hour with apple juice spray, then make your own finishing sauce (basically a homemade bbq sauce)... you get the idea.  Anyway, it came out just unbelievably well.  Best brisket I've ever had.  Honestly, can't recommend this recipe enough.  I reserved the tips to do another recipe from his book called Burnt Ends with Melting Garlic.  It basically involves cooking the ends again, then letting them soak in a sauce made of slow-simmered garlic cloves in olive oil and spices.  Surprising though it was, this recipe was even better than the first.  I've never cooked anything close to this good.  Literally.  It was one of the best pieces of meat I've tasted.  Anyway, here are some photos.  First is of the brisket in the egg, then the finishing sauce, and two shots of the Burnt Ends recipe.  In the second shot you can see the final product as compared to the photo from the Serious Barbecue cookbook (which is placed just below the pan for juxtaposition).  Highly recommend trying these recipes if you've got the cookbook.  If you don't, highly recommend getting the cookbook!

Southern California

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2013

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Yep.  Those are them.  Give them a try.  Unbelievably good!
    Southern California
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Thanks @bicktrav & @SmokeyPitt!  Added to my ToEgg List!
    Long Island, NY
  • Agreed..I did the APL brisket and burnt ends over the weekend. Best brisket I've ever done!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I'm planning on doing the recipe this weekend but noticed the melting garlic one isn't showing in the link.  Does anyone have it? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nice work
    Seattle, WA
  • I'll have to try this next weekend.
    Thanks for the links.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Bicktrav, I just got his book and this is one of the things I was looking to try. Maurice question. In your first pic, I see three distinct pieces and curious if you had split the point and flat or what exactly you are showing. Thanks for posting and it looks awesome.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • GATraveller
    Is the "Melting Garlic" recipe available anywhere or do I have to buy the book??

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GA, it's posted above. But you should buy the book. It is awesome.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • bicktrav
    Bicktrav, I just got his book and this is one of the things I was looking to try. Maurice question. In your first pic, I see three distinct pieces and curious if you had split the point and flat or what exactly you are showing. Thanks for posting and it looks awesome.
    This was sort of an unorthodox purchase.  I asked the butcher for extra "tips" to make burnt ends.  The tips are the two pieces on the side.  They come from the flat and were used to make the burnt ends.  The center piece includes the point. 
    Southern California
  • GATraveller
    Buckeye - I have the link but it says to toss the burnt ends with "1 melted garlic (recipe)" but doesn't say anything more.  I checked the website but it's not there.  Guess I will have to buy the book unless someone wants to share that portion.  Maybe I'll postpone the brisket cook till I can get by Barnes & Noble.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2013
    Is the "Melting Garlic" recipe available anywhere or do I have to buy the book??

I see what you mean.  It gives you the recipe for the burnt ends but not actually the melting garlic. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GATraveller

I see what you mean.  It gives you the recipe for the burnt ends but not actually the melting garlic. 

Glad you see it too.  I keep looking at it thinking that I'm losing my mind!!!

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Oh sorry, I didn't realize that either.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • GATraveller
    Guess I need to buy the book.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415

That looks INSANELY good!  I have not tried a brisket yet, but you have me inspired to try it this weekend maybe!

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Just ordered the book based on the glowing recommendation.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Thanks bicktrav. That looks incredible.

Googled "melting garlic" and this came up on The BBQ Brethren forum.

"i did 'melting garlic' last week from Adam Perry Lang's "Serious BBQ", it was outstanding. You take about 5 bulbs of garlic and peel the cloves, put them in a baking dish with EVOO, kosher salt and a few sprigs of rosemary and cook in the smoker for 3 hours. They almost fall apart into liquid when they're done, and i couldn't believe how much of the oil the garlic soaks up."

This helped me decide to go ahead and get his book. Will be here in time for the weekend. Anyone that elevates garlic to its rightful place gets my vote.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • bicktrav
    Dredger said:

Thanks bicktrav. That looks incredible.

Googled "melting garlic" and this came up on The BBQ Brethren forum.

"i did 'melting garlic' last week from Adam Perry Lang's "Serious BBQ", it was outstanding. You take about 5 bulbs of garlic and peel the cloves, put them in a baking dish with EVOO, kosher salt and a few sprigs of rosemary and cook in the smoker for 3 hours. They almost fall apart into liquid when they're done, and i couldn't believe how much of the oil the garlic soaks up."

This helped me decide to go ahead and get his book. Will be here in time for the weekend. Anyone that elevates garlic to its rightful place gets my vote.

You won't regret it. The burnt ends swimming in that melting garlic is just crazy. I don't think I'll ever cook anything better.

Southern California
  • how much EVOO do you think you should use for the melting garlic?
  • GATraveller
    =D>  Thanks!! 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Guys do yourself a favor and buy the book off Amazon, there are ton of great recipes in the book.  I assure you that this will not be the case of you seeing only one recipe that you will try.  It is loaded with great recipes...
  • Literally, my mouth is just watering.  What is that little guy in the middle - butt?  Going to get the book now! 
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Just bought the book used for $7 plus 4 for shipping.
    Edina, MN

• @BGE Convert - Ordered my book, but it's not here yet.  The recipe in the link calls for "apple juice spray" is that 1:1 apple juice and water (yes, I know --- I should know this, right - NEWBIE question!)?  I want to cook this guy tomorrow AM so when Mr SS9 comes home from a camping trip he has a yummy dinner waiting (thinking collards - yah this CA girl has learned to make some real good collards - ;)) , maybe Mac&Chz or some twice baked potatoes ... haven't done that on my egg yet).
  • For those of you who are familiar with Amazon, you know that you can now download a TON of books to your book readers that you have already purchased form Amazon for PENNIES.  So if you have the Kindle loaded on your iPad and use that in the kitchen (like I do), this is a life saver - you don't have search through all ur cookbooks with messy hands.   
  • bicktrav
    @ChristinaSunshine the guy in the middle is brisket.  It's the flat and point together, basically the big hump on a packer.  The apple juice spray is indeed a 1:1 ratio of apple juice to water.  Good luck with the cook.  Let us know how it goes.
    Southern California
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @bicktrav - holy sh!t you can get extra point form your butcher!?!?! 

I would kill for that. The burnt ends in the melting garlic look unbelievably good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bicktrav
    @caliking yep, he'll pretty much cut out any portion of the brisket you want.  The tradeoff is that he charges a pretty penny, but great butcher.  Actually just picked up an Angus tri tip from him for tonight.  
    Southern California