Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last weekends sausage

As originally planned, I successfully completed my first sausage making effort last weekend. Starting with 2, 5lb. pork butts I made a batch of andouille and Texas-style hot links. The only part I was (mildly) concerned about was running the egg at the low temps needed to smoke the sausage (i.e., 130-160* range). I knew that the key to holding such a low temp probably lay in using a much smaller quantity of lump so I completely emptied the fire box of the residual lump from my last cook. I then used just a small amount of the previously used lump to start my fire; along with a couple of small lumps of apple wood for smoke. My initial load only got me up to 100* so I added a bit more and had no trouble at all keeping the low temps that I wanted.

I'll be using some of the andouille tonight to make some chicken and sausage paella. I'll probably do a rack of ribs tomorrow and throw a couple of the hot links on to go with those.

One of the pork shoulders

Spices for the hot links

Spices for the andouille

Pork cubed (for grinding) and mixed with the hot link spices

Grinding pork for the hot links

Hot links stuffed and ready to be smoked

Andouille stuffed and ready to be smoked

Sausages on the egg after about 2 hours

Finished hot links

Finished andouille

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    @TexanOfTheNorth, sweet cook, what kind of grinder do you have
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Both look great.  Reicpes?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• It's a LEM #5 that I purchased at Bass Pro Shop. I used it stuff the sausages as well.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Here's the link for the andouille recipe.

I used a product called Ready Cure, which is a 1% sodium nitrite cure that we get here in Canada. For that reason, I cut the kosher salt in both recipes back to 1 tbsp.; which worked out well in terms of the overall "saltiness" of the end product.