Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Best heat resistant gloves

Anyone have recommendations on Heat resistant gloves?

Comments

• I bought a pair of welding gloves from Home Depot they work fine and only cost $10.99 if you go and buy BBQ gloves you will pay loke $25.00 for the same thing so I recomend welding gloves
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • txav8rtxav8r Posts: 153
    I have Ove gloves.  They claim 575 degree protection and they are a nomex double thick woven fabric.  They will not protect from steam, so if they are wet, and you grab something hot, the resulting steam can burn badly.  They make them with a protective liner to protect from that too but it is a less flexible glove.  The only issue is it isn't a long cuff glove like the BGE version, which only claims about 450 degree protection, and they are a tad thinner.  Many guys use the welding gloves.  They are so heavy and stiff, I don't like them, and I don't know if they will provide the same degree of protection.  The are much longer cuffed and that is good, but they certainly aren't as thick, so I don't know if they will let heat transfer through as fast as the nomex style.  I haven't used my nomex much in the bge yet, so I don't know if picking up a PS and actually having to hang onto it while moving something else to put it down, maybe 20 seconds, is something you can do with either. 
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • I went thru the leather garden gloves at Lowes.  The thickness is not consistent so I went thru and found the thickest ones I could fine.  As long as I'm not holding anything for too long, there is no problem.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• six_eggsix_egg Posts: 593
    I agree with any of the above gloves. I have like 5 pair all different thickness. I plan my moves before I make them. I like to know what to move. When to move and where to move and who is near. I know it sounds like over kill but that PS gets hot no matter what gloves you have. The hotter it gets while holding the faster you will move and pay less attention to what is around.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

• I bought a webber mit when I first got my large.  It handles a hot plate setter very well and has the high collar to protect the arms in case of flash back.  A few months ago I bought some leather welding gloves from Harbor Freight for like $9.  I burnt my hand when removing a hot plate setter using those, so have gone back to the webber mit.

Simi Valley, California
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 10,190
    Welders gloves...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN