Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE Stainless Raincap

Options
I have seen some eggheads with these rain caps / stainless steel chimneys. The question is does this replace the OEM daisy wheel? And does it have the control the daisy wheel has? Where is the best place to purchase?
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited November 2013
    Options
    It does replace the daisy wheel. I had to relearn control when I got it and replaced the daisy wheel, but once I did I've had no problems maintaining the same level of control.

I got mine from @stlcharcoal and have nothing but good things to say about the interaction - contact him through the gmail address on his profile.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I have one left if you want it.....send me an email.
  • b0atnutz
    Options
    Do you have a web site? If yes please provide. Thank You Jerry
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    It is now called Smokeware.
     Here's a link:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - It works great. I disliked the combo of ceramic rain cap and the DFMT for a couple of reasons. I knew that I would invariably break the ceramic cap or that a guest visiting would open the dome and the cap would go flying off. And I didn't really like the DFMT much - it would swing around whenever the lid was opened and I forgot to readjust afterwards or I forgot to line up the screws perpendicular to the hinge. 

With the ss vent cap, 1 device can control and snuff the fire, with the added benefit of keeping rain out. Well worth the money I spent on it. I hope they make one for the small eventually. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • b0atnutz
    Options
    Thank You for the site but I do not see where the bottom SS grate is that he sells would like to order everything in one shot? Is this the same person? Sorry for all the questions

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited November 2013
    Options
    b0atnutz said:
    Thank You for the site but I do not see where the bottom SS grate is that he sells would like to order everything in one shot? Is this the same person? Sorry for all the questions

Two separate companies, but I am a dealer for EggWare/Smokeware (who makes the caps.)  I do not have anything but the lower fire grates in my eBay store.  Just send me an email and I'll send you a list of all the Egg products I manufacture or sell.
  • b0atnutz
    Options
    ok thank you I will send e-mail tomorrow Jerry
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I think this accessory is next on my list...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Update...@stlcharcoal & @RRP thanks for all the info. I was able to meet up with Matthew Merritt w/ Smokeware in Jacksonville Beach FL. He gave me a brief tour of his facility and most importantly I picked up my new smokeware. And I'll be breaking it in starting tonight and all through the weekend. It's a good solidmade product.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

In the process of buying my ss cap, I talked to Matt on the phone.  It can't be better than calling a company, and the owner answers!

As @RRP says, he is a stand-up guy.  And it's a great product.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon