Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

creating a controlled flashback on purpose

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
This lighting tip is not for the timid, but it has worked for me many times when needed. The other night it was pouring down rain when I opened my egg to start the fire. I only had two Rutland starter blocks but I was able to get them lit. As I stood there with the dome wide open the rain was soaking my lump and was running out the bottom vent! I have a small hand operated blower and was cranking it like crazy and finally shut the dome and watched it finally come up to a wimpy 190°. I still had to put my now wet PS in and get it all up to 350° dome. I opened the dome again and cranked and cranked the blower and quickly put the PS in legs up. Eventually the dome had crept to 220 and stalled! I then did what I call an induced flash back. I put the rain cap on the dome and with mittens on I quickly raised the dome. With the PS in place the flash back spreads sideways as opposed to straight up, but it still is scary! I then closed it, removed the rain cap and waited another minute and repeated the process, but then opening and closing it rapidly. That creates quite the suction and repeated “controlled” flashbacks. Soon I was cruising at 350° and the rain was still pouring down!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments