Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When and how you discovered the big green egg?

Comments

• GoHorns
    GoHorns Posts: 22
    I saw one about ten years ago, and thought to myself "What idiot would pay that much for a grill"..  Then over time, some friends started getting them... and now I am one of those "idiots"...  In good company though!

Deep In The Heart of Texas...A State of Mine....

• Wife bought a large egg for me in 1997. Still have it to this day. I also bought a small and a mini to complement my cooking.
  • Saw one several years ago and thought, no way am I spending that much. Then a friend won a BGE and I saw how enthusiastic he was and mentioned it to my wife of 32 years said sure, Christmas is coming up, let's get one. And about a 100 cooks later, we still love everything I've cooked on it. Love my wife, Amy.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    I was introduced to the BGE by a fellow I work with.  He brought in some of the best pulled pork I had ever eaten and raved about all the things he could cook on the Egg.  He told me to wait for the Iowa State Fair and go to the demo that Prairie Ag Supply put on with a special accessory package they offered if you ordered an Egg then.  Turned out to be a good deal and we owned an XL a couple of weeks later.  Our Eggdom recently expanded with a Medium being added to our henhouse.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

My brother gave me my first grill my first senior year in a college. He came up for my birthday and wanted some BBQ and he decided to buy me an Old Smokey. Fired it up with self starting charcoal, coated some chicken breasts with store bought BBQ sauce and it was god awful. But that started the whole thing.

The grill was stolen and later replaced by some cheap two burner gasser. Since then, I think I've burned through 2 gassers, aquired a Brinkman offset as gift from a now ex, a Weber kettle, and some kind of Coleman firepit/charcoal grill followed by a 5 burner stainless steel grill. Came out of a divorce but kept the gasser and the offset. Produced some really good BBQ over the years. Got re-married. Went on a vacation with some of my wife's friends and one of the guys was bragging about his BGE one night. We talked BBQ all night long and I was convinced it was some kind of gimmick. I had heard of them before, but always dismissed them thinking that what I was doing was fine.

After that vacation, I started doing a lot of research and then went to the Plano Eggfest 3 years ago. Stacie and I were sold on it after sampling some of the food being put out. Neither of our parents had bought us a wedding present as we couldn't decide what we needed or wanted. They all pitched in and we forked some out ourselves and took delivery of our Egg the day after Thanksgiving almost 3 years ago.

The gasser went to live at my parents (they refuse to "mess" with charcoal and the offset smoker retired down at the ranch. Since then, we've aquired a Mini. Would love to have one down at the ranch some day. Love my Eggs, but I will say lately my eye has been straying. Been kicking around the idea of getting something else just for a change of pace and to shake things up a bit. Maybe an Old Smokey to replace that first grill that was stolen so many years ago...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• grussem
    grussem Posts: 120
    I actually never heard of it until watching BBQ PITMASTERS last year.  I did not grow up in much of a BBQ family, all BBQ was to us was burgers and dogs.  I did my research and the wife got one for me for our anniversary this past year.  Now I use it at least once a week.
  • mo egg
    mo egg Posts: 143
    Was watching the today show on mbc i think it was 2006 and the guy was cooking on it and other grills and he said of the all grills there he like the big green egg the most, thats when i went and bought a med. green egg.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Around 1985 I walked into a store that sold grills and smokers and saw the egg. It was love at first sight. I loved it and it felt so good. I went home and told MDSH that I fell in love and found the perfect smoker, he said "I don't think so". Four gassers and 3 water smokers later I'm on the hunt again and I hear those 4 words again, "I don't think so". That didn't go over well this time and while I was making arrangements for it to be delivered he finally jumped on the band wagon and decided I needed the table and all the accessories. In the 2 years that we have had the egg he has cooked on it twice and that was last year when he made the Cajun turkeys. Love it still and MDSH ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Known about them for years, thought it was ridiculously over priced and had zero intentions of purchasing one. SWMBO bought on this year for Fathers Day and I hate myself for being so close minded. Incredible product that I use 4-5 times a week, will never look back.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited October 2013

Knew OF them for quite some time, but like others, thought they were gimmicky and overpriced (closed-minded, I know).  I had always been a stick burner for low and slows and had cooked on some pretty good smokers.

Some friends of ours got one a couple years ago and we ate over there twice off their Egg, once pizza and once steak fajitas.  Both were incredible.  At that time, I was in the market for a high-end smoker, i.e., Lyfe Tyme or something similar, to go with my gasser.  After talking some more with my friend with the Egg and doing some research on how great they were for low and slows, I decided on the Egg.  The versatility was really what sold me as it does everything extremely well from your basic hot and fast cooks, burgers, steaks, etc., to the overnight smoking cooks.  The timing was perfect too since I spent about two-thirds what I was going to spend on a nice smoker.  After a few months of the gasser just sitting there taking up space and never getting used, I sold that on CL. 

I've loved having it and cooking on it and the food is always fantastic.  Nothing at all negative I can really say about it.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Had a coworker who competed with one...leftover samples on Mondays were pretty good. After using a electric smoker for a couple years I decided to take the plunge...have only had it for less then two weeks but I am already angry about all the time I wasted not getting one earlier.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Wow 2.2k views and over a 100 comments!!!!

Did the mangrates thread have more views than this? I can't remember...lol.

First sticky ever....awesome!!!

Jamie
    <:-P
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,455
    Awesome indeed @CANMAN1976.  but mangrates didn't have the sticky advantage  :D
    canuckland
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    My brother who is 15 years older than ma had one (XL) 20 years ago and after many an awesome meal on holidays decided that once my student loans were payed and I had the means and wherewithal to part with $1500 for a large, table, and accessories I would take the plunge! That happened in 2011 and have never had any regrets! Great product, Great forum and in the immortal words of Phil Robertson (Duck Commander) my wife and I are Happy, Happy, Happy! By the way the expenditure was actually her idea! Of course that got her off cooking duty so she is one smart cookie!
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I was watching fishing the flats and dr.bbq was cooking on one and it looked pretty awesome so started looking into it and ended up buying one shortly after
  • Mine is pretty simple and straight forward. I have two buddies that are strong cooks, bring stuff to work all the time. I went to there place a couple times and had some of the best food I've ever eaten anywhere.

When my gasser died, instead of buying a 200$ gasser that would die in a few years, talked the wife into a large egg with a lifetime warranty.

XLBGE 
  • Cookinbob said:
    A buddy of mine learned about the egg from some of his co-workers who live in the south.  He knows me well and told me in no uncertain terms there would be an egg in my future.  I did some reading, and wasa interested but skeptical in that I already had a gas grill, Weber kettle, and a vertical smoker. I said that two of them would have to go if I got an egg.  

6 months later, another neighbor who has a garden center started selling eggs, and it was not long until I had mine.  One son now has my old Weber, the other will have the vertical smoker as soon as he has room for it.

What did your sons both do to make you mad at them? 
    :))
  • Why does"announcement" appear in this title of this thread and why does this stay at the top of the discussion feed?
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Why does"announcement" appear in this title of this thread and why does this stay at the top of the discussion feed?
    I was wondering the same thing.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Was surfing the net for parts for the rusted gasser, third time rebuild and frustrated. Some poster on a parts review mentioned his disgust with gassers and going to Big Green Egg. I had no idea what that was and investigated, six weeks later served baby back ribs for fourth of July guests in my new LGE. Awesome
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Sarasota, Fl.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Mickey and other guys posting mini cooks got me interested and buying my first egg. Started with the mini, added a large. Posters sell eggs...
    Seattle, WA
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Went in to buy a Traeger GASP!!! The guy asked if I had ever considered an egg... Went home searched online, realized this was the grill someone had offered me for free a few months before and I turned it down!!! Showed the wife she said " Oh thats a pretty grill" I took that as go back to the store and buy the XL ASAP. The rest is history... This obsession has resulted in a small coming in the next month and about $20K spent on outdoor area. The Egg is the cheapest part!
    Lynnwood WA
  • My first egg was a med. Imperial Kamado that is in use by my best friend after I replaced the insides with all new stuff and now I have the large BGE. The med. just wasn't big enough and after thirty years I just had to up grade.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • In 2002 or so I went on a fishing trip on "Sea Hunter" out of Orange Beach, AL.  This was an overnight trip on a top notch boat that has a Large BGE on it.  It is so cool.  It is built into the back in with the ice machine, live well, cooler.  It is a really clean setup, and looks like the Egg is made for that kind of setup.  

Since it was an overnight trip, we had to have several meals on the boat.  The deckhands cooked us a pork tenderloin on the Egg for one of the meals, and some of the fish we caught for another.  The whole thing was a fantastic experience.  The one thing I noticed about the Egg was that they could set up the Egg and get right back to helping us fish.  They set a timer, and dinner was done.  

I wanted one ever since, but couldn't afford one for several years.  I got the job that I have now 7 years ago, and bought one about a month after I bought my first house.  I haven't looked back since.  
    By the way.  If any of you are ever looking for a top notch fishing charter the "Sea Hunter" is second to none.  They can do one day and overnight trips.  They also have smaller boats in their fleet.  This guy has his own wrecks, and knows where the fish are.  It's more just catching than fishing.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • I first saw the BGE at a stove shop in North Conway, NH back in the late 70's or early 80's.  I thought it was pretty neat.  I did not buy one until last year and it IS really neat!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,455
    Why does"announcement" appear in this title of this thread and why does this stay at the top of the discussion feed?
    I was wondering the same thing.

Marketing 101.
    canuckland
  • My story is like @Fred19Flintstone.  Friend had smoked some salmon and once I saw the egg and tasted the results, I had to have one.  Got one a few weeks later and will be adding a second come Feb when my dealer puts them on sale.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I've had my LBGE for 10 months and my SBGE for about 5 months. My first experience with one was 2012 in Orange Beach, AL on a charter fishing boat. The deckhand grilled up some red snapper we caught and it was by far the best grilled fish I ever had. I thought the egg was cool and I would love to own one someday. I have a 4 burner commercial gas grill, and an offset wood burning smoker that has seen thousands of dollars of meat. There was no way I was going to spend the money on an egg. December 9, 2012 I had to work out of town on my birthday. When I came home there was a LBGE sitting in my garage still in the boxes. My wife bought me the egg, nest, and egg mates for my birthday. It sat in my garage in the boxes for a week because I wasn't sure I would like it and that was a lot of money. I ended up taking the nest and mates back to the dealer and trading them for a platesetter and other eggcessories and then I built a table for it. I loved it so much I used it 3 - 4 times a week all winter. I started saving my pocket change in a jug and told my wife when it got full I was going to buy egg #2 a small. She told me I was nuts. I woke up on Fathers day this year and there was a small sitting in the living room. I have built two tables for it, one permanent and one to take camping and such. I love my eggs. The offset hasn't been used since I got the large and the gasser has only been used twice (for hotdogs) but that was before I got the small..

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    My journey began after have another tasteless meal come off of my Weber gasser.  I thought that food used to taste better off of a charcoal grill.  So I bought a Weber kettle off of Craigslist.  I thought I would look for some tips on how to cook on one, which led me to the BBQ Brethren website.  After a few weeks of checking out that site, I noticed the acronym "WSM" being used in some of the messages.  That eventually led me to buy my first smoker - an 18" Weber Smokey Mountain off of Craigslist.  That eventually led me to buy a 22" WSM.  I next saw someone post a message on the BBQ brethren website about a "BGE".  What the heck is that?  Looked into it and thought people must be crazy to spend that much money on a fancy grill!  Six months later, I became one of the crazy people and bought my XL.  A little more than a year later, I bought my small BGE.  Who knows what is next.    I could not be happier with the food that comes off of my eggs!  My wife and family think that I am addicted.  I don't care.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• shtgunal3 said:
     I have built two tables for it, one permanent and one to take camping and such.

I would love to see a pic of the table used for transport.  How easy is it to move around?

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014