Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CyberQ Wifi email Help

Options
Hi Everyone...new egg enthusiast here, got my first egg (an XL) a week and a half ago, I have been smoking for about 3 years in an electric before recently converting ..I have been reading and experimenting and I am hooked....I am also in awe of the community here.

I have about a billion questions, but I will start with one that I am struggling with today.

I don't have the hang of controlling the temps yet...even the smallest adjustments seem to give me pretty significant temp swings...and more then once I have had to relight my lump because I apparently suffocated it trying to reduce temps. I purchased the CyberQ Wifi to help me control the temp, and so far it has been very helpful...smoked a boston butt overnight last night and maintained the temps perfect. It took about an hour to get it to cooperate with my home network on infrastructure mode, but now I can see the temp control screen from computers / tablets, smartphones both on my network and anywhere I have a internet connect...cool stuff.

The trouble I am running into is making the email alerts work.  I created an email account on GMX as the directions suggested, but I cant seem to get the emails to fire. I even used the settings in MS outlook to validate the SMTP ports I was using were not blocked by my internet provider...long story short, outlook sends the email like a champ, but the Cyberq cant seem to get one to successfully execute.

Hoping someone here might have found a solution to this one...Thanks.
imageimage
Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    Options
    Wish I could help you directly, but when I had trouble setting mine up for infrastructure mode, I called the BBQ Guru folks and they put me in touch with a computer expert who was able to walk me through the set up.  He was extremely helpful and I'm sure could help you but I don't have/remember his name.  I suggest you contact BBQ Guru.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Thanks, appreciate the response...I sent them an email...got a response that looks like it is a feature that is not possible right now.

Hello Mike.  Unfortunately there aren’t any non-ssl email servers that work with the CyberQ any longer.  This is also an issue for many webcam companies that use the same technology.  We are in the process of starting our own non-ssl mail server but I don’t have a timetable as to when this will be completed."
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    strange - I have a gmx account and it works.  Now I've had it for almost a year though so maybe this is a recent change.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    BigWader said:
    strange - I have a gmx account and it works.  Now I've had it for almost a year though so maybe this is a recent change.

Humm....any different settings as my screenshot?