Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sausage stew

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,754
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
made up a batch last night, lunches for a week

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0270.jpg

DSC_0275.jpg

DSC_0278.jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Essex County
    Options
    Looks great. Where'd you get the halloween beer?
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Perfect cook for the cold snap we're having. Looks delicious...Haven't seen that brand of brew around here.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    That looks really good...I just did my first DO cook last week...need to do more.

fc
  • fishlessman
    Options
    impulse buy at the meathouse, not a bad beer but not worth the 3.79 per bottle.
    fukahwee maine

• BoneDaddy's
    Options
    Can you share the process/recipe?
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i'm a sucker for the bottle and label...

mauditebeerandribeye.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    17 sweet italian sausages, the dog gets number 18. i like to make meatballs out of most of them and look for the ones with fennel if you like fennel. fry and grill at about 400 dome and when they start to brown toss in the onions garlic and carrots and cook til the onion softens, i like the onions dices fairly small almost minced for this type of soup because its all about sausage. then add the tomatoes, should be about (2) 28 oz cans, i only had 1 and stewed are fine instead of peeled, less work and add the beef broth (low sodium). simmer til the carrots soften then add chunks of zuccinni and rinsed great northern beans and cook til they soften. when everything is cooked take it off the egg and add some leaves, i used kale because thats what i like, but cabbage or spinach is also good. it could have used some basil. let it sit 5 minutes covered for the leaves to cook, maybe longer with cabbage. no need to add spices as everything is already in the sausage for flavor. i dont think you need to really follow a recipe with this, you just want to make sure the zuccinni and beans only cook for about 15 to 20 minutes towards the end so that they dont start to break down and add the leaves last so they dont get soggy slimy.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    im kinda happy they stopped selling the st peters creme stout, that one had me going there too often.
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    stike

a little Canadiana

"A group of lumberjack were up north deep in the forest. It was christmas eve. A man appeared to them and offer them to make there canoe fly over the river. That way, they will be able to see there wife for christmas. This man will sit on the canoe with them on the back. They had to promise to never look back at him.

"So they make the deal and were flying over the forests and rivers. One of the man could not resist and turn to look at the man. It was Satan. They have been damned and never made it for christmas.

"In french, when you are damned, you are "maudit". As you mabe know, in french we have feminate and masculin for things. In english everything is IT but in french it is different. So, maudite is the feminate of maudit and beer is feminate. La Maudite, the Damned Beer."

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    great story.

i knew it was "the damned beer", but never knew the damned story!
    heh heh
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Now thats one good looking colorful bowl of goodies!! Never heard of this. I love me some pig and can see a DP's Shack version soon. ;)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    should also mention you need to ladle off the grease before adding the veggies, you could strain it of the meat first, but i like it to cook with the stew and then ladle it off
    fukahwee maine

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    We made this yesterday (In the house not on the Egg :( ).  Very good soup but I need to make it on the Egg next to add some more flavor.

Thanks for the recipe.

Garnerville, NY
  • fishlessman
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    We made this yesterday (In the house not on the Egg :( ).  Very good soup but I need to make it on the Egg next to add some more flavor.

Thanks for the recipe.
    its pretty easy to make and never a need to have a recipe for it. i make it pretty heavey but if you lighten it up a bit and add some parmesian and some light noodles its pretty close to most italian wedding soups without all the hassles of making the meatballs from scratch
    fukahwee maine