Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any interest in a Pacific NW Charcoal Group Buy?

Options
We are in the middle of no where when it comes to charcoal locally it seems. Any one interested? Not sure on price and what not.

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

From St. Louis, the shipping is ridiculous......more expensive than the charcoal if your just talking 1-2 pallets.

Even when I've talk with distributors, we couldn't get the price low enough to make it worth while (and that was shipping by rail vs. truck.)  I suppose it has to do with the mountains in the middle since the same distance to other parts of the country is half the cost.

• Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    I'm interested. I'm in kent if that is close to where you are...

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Good luck, keep us informed. I almost bought 3 X 20# Rockwood ($19.95 each) and 4 X 10# Ozark Oak ($10.95 each) for $105 from FireCraft, over $99 they ship free. The only way I could try these wonders of the BBQ world to see why the folks in the east/mid west are so excited. 
    In the meantime I found a place that gave me a "deal", 8Kg bags of Maple Leaf for $16 a bag. I know it is good, so I grabbed 10. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ballardbbq
    Options

I'm interested. Royal Oak is 14.99 for 20# bags from doitbest.com. Stoneway Hardware in Ballard is a 'do it best' hardware store so delivery to the store is free. Not sure if we could get a better price or not for bulk but it is better than what Skiddymarker paid.

I'd be interested in something besides RO too as long as it's not Cowboy Lump.

Large, Medium & Mini-Max - Seattle & a Puget Sound Island

• bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    Options
    I am interested, depending on what we are talking about ordering.  I live in Kenmore.
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Looks like you troops are all in Washington, so it probably wouldn't work for me.

Actually, I can get the 18.8 lb bags of RO here for about $12.00

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @Skiddymarker-At least you can use FireCraft to order the Rockwoods and OO's of the world and you can get Maple Leaf as well (just to rub it in)  :)  I cannot find a supplier that will allow Maple Leaf to travel south of the border.  Oh well...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    edited October 2013
    Options

I'm interested. Royal Oak is 14.99 for 20# bags from doitbest.com. Stoneway Hardware in Ballard is a 'do it best' hardware store so delivery to the store is free. Not sure if we could get a better price or not for bulk but it is better than what Skiddymarker paid.

I'd be interested in something besides RO too as long as it's not Cowboy Lump.

@Ballardbbq - For RO check Home Depot. It is in the stores for $12.97 (8Kg or 17.6#) bag. If I checked it right the 20# you refer to at doitbest.com is actually a 17.6# bag. Bought 2 bags in Bellingham on wednesday. RO in Canada is $15 for 8 Kg. 

@lousubcap - why can't you order from FireCraft? I know you like the A's, but you are not in California are you? I would have ordered from FireCraft for delivery to a drop point in Blaine Wa, then I cross the border to pick it up. The Maple Leaf I just fell over at Home Hardware. $16 here on the west coast is higher than the $12.50 LS pays in Toronto. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @Skiddymarker-I have no problem with getting about any hardwood charcoal except anything with maple.  Can't get Maple Leaf and there is an outfit in Montana (Real Montana) that has a local distributor but he never sees their maple.  My comment was meant along the lines of "Firecraft can get you different lump charcoals AND you get access to Maple Leaf as well."  I will manage with my current selections-just like to try different types. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Lou - Yeah, me too, like to try whatever is out there. Maple Leaf is actually maple, yellow birch and beech. I think the Maple Leaf on the bag is similar to Americans using an Eagle as brand recognition. I've used it when in the east, hard to get out here. Just guessing. 
    Basque makes a true all maple lump, but it is made with sugar maple, not the hardest of maples - but it is the most flavour neutral lump I've ever used. Burn and ash about same as RO, but no smoke whatever. Really nice for white fish, mushrooms and things that take on smoke very quickly.