Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Best trick to removing the membrane from pork ribs?

Hey Guys,  I have smoked around a dozen racks of ribs in the past month since I picked up my egg, and everything always goes smoothly except removing the membrane.   Sometimes I can get it to come off fairly well, and others I just make a mess of it. And is there any other parts you guys cut off your ribs while preparing? Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

If yall need to know, so far I have exclusively cooked Smithfield ribs, and I have tried leaving the membrane on but it dosent taste as good.

membrane.jpg 180.1K
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,266
    Paper Towels is (IMO) by far the best.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,775
    edited October 2013
    Lift up an edge with a knife and use a paper towel to peel it off of the ribs. The paper towel gives you enhance grip.
    Butter knife works pretty well, the handle of a fork or spoon can also work. Some folks use a screwdriver. I don't bother with taking the membrane of most times though. The paper towel does make it much easier.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,146
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,285
    Take a small teaspoon and use the handle to slide between a middle bone and the membrane. Do this from both sides of the rib. Work the hole bigger until you can get your index finger in with the fingernail against the rib. Push it through to the other side and close your thumb with the finger. Pull straight up and you are done.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Start in the middle of the rack. use the handle of a teaspoon to start, then hook a finger in. you peel away from the midle, and dont even need the paper towel

·
  • I have found if you let the ribs warm up a bit it helps to pull the membrane, I then rub and either rap and refridge  or go direct to the smoker. Paper towels are the way to go.

·
  • Catfish skinners/pliers.
    ·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,251

Start in the middle of the rack. use the handle of a teaspoon to start, then hook a finger in. you peel away from the midle, and dont even need the paper towel

My favorite method as well and when that doesn't work I use my flat faced catfish skinning pliers.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Buy your ribs at Costco, they remove the membrane before they cryovac.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
    Pliers when they are being a pain in the ass. Got a dedicated pair in the kitchen drawer.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,161
    edited October 2013
    I peeled ribs almost daily for a restaurant I worked for when I was younger. All I do is just bend the rib at the narrow end and grab the membrane between the ribs and pull forward to release it from the narrow end tip and then pull across to the other end. I can do any rib in 10 secs or less. Anyone wanna race?

Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Sledder, Quadder, Rock and Roller, Big Green Egg Smoker.

·

I know that guy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,215
    I don't on St Louis style... Baby back, yes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,292
    Is it me or is his coat to tight?

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
    It fit him at one time

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,116

I have found if you let the ribs warm up a bit it helps to pull the membrane, I then rub and either rap and refridge  or go direct to the smoker. Paper towels are the way to go.

Someone posted this a couple months ago (it may have been you, Grillmagic) and its been a big help!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Another implement that works very well to get under the membrane is one of the disposable chop sticks you get at some Asian restaurants.  The best ones have the tapered rather than blunt tip.  Use once and pitch.  You've still got another for next time,
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
  • Thanks for all your input guys!
    ·