Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Half butt or one cheek plus beans and squash

Options
I was really in the mood for pork tacos, but there are only two of us.  Decided to cut a butt in half and turbo egg it along with sides for tonight's dinner.  Today was a home office day for me so I had the time.  Picked up a 7.5 pounder and cut it in half, planned to start the fire at noon, and a 4 hour cook at 350 grate temp.  As I did not foresee a real long cook, I laid the fire in my lump reducer with a few hunks of hickory.  But thanks to a couple of phone calls that required some immediate involvement, I did not get the fire lit on time, and the meat did not get on the grill until about 1:45.  

I was also wanting some baked beans, but not the typical "sweet" baked beans, so went my own way.  2 strips of bacon and one onion diced, and cooked in oil for an hour while the meat got going. Then I added 2 cans of Goya navy beans, some spices, and about 2T of barbecue sauce for just a bit of flavor.  Covered and let it cook with the meat for the rest of the ride.

For the last hour I put two half acorn squash filled with cranberry sauce on the grill.  Wrapped them in foil (which I removed for the final pic).

Thanks to the late start, I was pushing it for dinner time, pulled the meat at 196 (6:15 PM - 4-1/2 hours), and immediately started shredding.  Absolutely delicious and really crunchy bark, though it was not as fall apart tender as previous cooks.  Could be the temp (I usually go over 200), the lack of FTC, or the cut itself, but I had to work a bit to pull.  I made my tacos which really hit the spot, and I have leftovers for the next couple of days.  The beans were awesome, seconds for both of us - I will definitely do again. The squash are a cool weather staple here, no surprises there, though this is the first time I have cooked them on the egg.

Sorry, no plated pics - it was time to eat!

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sounds like a fun day at the office!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    They are not all this "fun", but being self employed has its rewards (and its risks)!  Last week I drove 1700 miles visiting customers - not so fun.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I work from home full time which is pretty nice for cooking.  It's weird since you're never at the office you're never really away from the office either.  I've only had the egg for a month or so but I've managed to do a few long cooks by starting them before the work day and then checking in on them a couple times as needed.  I just ordered a maverick wireless thermometer that should make the monitoring process a lot easier.  If nothing else, I can usually find some time to do prep for dinner over lunchtime since lunch usually involves spending 5 minutes throwing a sandwich together or warming up last night's leftovers.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI