Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chiminea

Options
I bought one to add to my collection. Who likes their BGE Chiminea?
Live to egg

Comments

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options

What kind of premium does it have because it is a "BGE" brand?  Ive been looking for a chiminea but I imagine this is probably twice the price of a regular one?  I hope I am wrong.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I wanted one, but was holding out for a much larger one that was in the development stage a few years back. The body of it was to be as large as an XL and use the XL nest. I heard they had cracking problems and finally scrapped the project.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    busmania said:

What kind of premium does it have because it is a "BGE" brand?  Ive been looking for a chiminea but I imagine this is probably twice the price of a regular one?  I hope I am wrong.

You're not...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    henapple said:

You're not...

What kind of price tag are we looking at?
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I bought my 'Smores oven at HEB for $60.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    We were talking to someone from BGE @ Eggtoberfest and according to that person, BGE will no longer be making the chiminea.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Hic said:
    We were talking to someone from BGE @ Eggtoberfest and according to that person, BGE will no longer be making the chiminea.

Wow......I thought they dumped that thing 10 yrs ago.  I remember when they were all the rage many years ago, then BGE got into them.  I think we paid about $100 for our brown clay one in the late-90s.  They kind of went away when a bunch of kids got burned and decks caught fire......people switched over to those propane fired heaters that look like street lamps.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    My dealer had one for $299
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Hallfamily
    Options
    $300
    Live to egg
  • henapple
    Options
    VI

=D>
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 with VI. Have had a red clay one for years. Use it mostly for 'S'mores and toasting marshmallows, however if the mosquitoes are bad, I'll throw in some pinion wood and it is a great repellant. Had it lit Sunday night to warm up on the patio. Unlike the Egg, with clay it needs to be put away or covered before the freeze/thaw cycle in the NE or it will crack.
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sorry if I sound ignorant, but what do folks use these for besides smores or ambience?. Is it effective as a patio heater? I've seen them at HEB (same one that VI has) but couldn't figure out if it was more decorative than functional. If its more functional than decorative, I might pick one up. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    If you let it heat up for a while, and sit within a couple feet, it works as a patio heater (same can be said for the Egg). In front of the open firebox, one person can warm up pretty well.
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    I have two. My parents have a place in Harlegen TX. They go to Progresso Mexico all the time and buy them for $25-28 each.
    XL BGE
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sorry if I sound ignorant, but what do folks use these for besides smores or ambience?. Is it effective as a patio heater? I've seen them at HEB (same one that VI has) but couldn't figure out if it was more decorative than functional. If its more functional than decorative, I might pick one up. 
    Cal,
    I've used ours once.  I put some sand in the bottom because I thought that would be a good idea.  Then, I put in a log starter and two split oak logs.  It lit fine.  My nieces were over for dinner, and we made 'smores.  It worked great.  It it ever gets cold, I'll see if it puts out much heat.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    Between the BGE and the Chiminea the other mornings 42 degrees didn't seem that cool.
    XL BGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    caliking said:
    There used to be a fellow who would remove the cone top, place a small grate in its place and grill burgers on his.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    caliking said:
    Ours definitely puts out some heat.  I like to fire it up in the cooler months.....kind of like enjoying a camp fire in the back yard.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks for the input. We built a patio extension this summer, so a heater thingy might not be a bad idea for cooler nights. Maybe I'll swing by HEB and pick one up. Plus I can make burgers and smores on it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    A couple of things to consider. If your using on a wood deck, get a stand to raise it up, also a screen guard for the front and a spark arrester for the top. We use to sell (not BGE, but mexican ones) these 10 years ago, but quit when people didn't want to buy the safety items. We saw some bad results from them on wood decks with no protection.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71
    Options
    I would love to get my hand on one. Are they still available in Canada? I guess only over stock only right? If only I can find one within Ottawa driving distance.. 
  • henapple
    Options
    I've seen them on Craigslist... Guy had one for $200.. I offered $100. He wasn't very open.