Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Epic Fail: Standing Rib Roast

Well, my folks came for the weekend and to celebrate my Dad's birthday, he requested a SRR. After hors d'oeuvres and cocktails, it was getting a bit late (natives were restless and asking the dreaded "are we ever going to eat?") so I increased the Egg temp from 275 to 400. The temperature curve went nuts and the damn thing went from 105 to 145 in I swear one cocktail. Damn thing was cooked to a perfect well done after resting. Patience is a virtue. I lacked virtues that night.

I had to redeem myself the following night with Mahi Mahi.

The takeaway: Reduce bourbon intake and don't get bossed around by the natives. "We'll eat when I damn well say we're gonna eat!"

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Sounds like a great argument for a Maverick ET-732 to allow for monitoring cook and food temps.

You're dead right about "when I.......say we're gonna eat!"

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • I've always used Dr. BBQ's method and they've always come out perfect.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    You are not alone.  I have had to learn that painful lesson a time or two as well.  Once you get over about 90 degrees the temperature goes up fairly quickly.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

500 Posts: 3,177
    Screwing up your cooks because of your drinking is a sign you need to quit drinking, or quit Egging............Well, neither of those are good options.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    500 said:
    Screwing up your cooks because of your drinking is a sign you need to quit drinking, or quit Egging............Well, neither of those are good options.
    Or just live with the results. Roast was probably excellent anyway.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Well VI, I'll have to look a bit more closely at Eggerton's process.

Oh, 500, you think you're a comedian or something?

:))

Little Steven, SWMBO was fine with it. Kiddos were fine with it. My folks said they loved it but they are too polite to tell me how they real feel. Me? Pissed off.

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited October 2013
    Another consideration-as the finish-line approaches, consume the cocktail more quickly so the time window is reduced :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jaydub58 said:

Sounds like a great argument for a Maverick ET-732 to allow for monitoring cook and food temps.

You're dead right about "when I.......say we're gonna eat!"

Yeah, I'm leaning towards such a device.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    DO NOT REDUCE BOURBON Start cooking earlier which means you have more time to drink!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • td66snrf said:
    DO NOT REDUCE BOURBON Start cooking earlier which means you have more time to drink!
    Sir! Yes sir!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Well VI, I'll have to look a bit more closely at Eggerton's process.

:))

Little Steven, SWMBO was fine with it. Kiddos were fine with it. My folks said they loved it but they are too polite to tell me how they real feel. Me? Pissed off.

We are usually our own harshest critics. Last brisket I did went just through the perfect stage. Guests were wowed. I was pissed.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    The takeaway: Reduce bourbon intake and don't get bossed around by the natives. "We'll eat when the meat damn well says we're gonna eat!"
  • Well VI, I'll have to look a bit more closely at Eggerton's process.

This used to be a much friendlier place.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I am my worst critic. No doubt about it. Always room for improvement. What's crazy is that sometimes I think I nailed it and everyone is "meh." I cook a "meh" and it wows everyone. Oh well, time for a bourbon.

• Yep that is just part of the process my man.  We are definitely our own harshest critics.  I will cook something and my wife will scarf it down and the while I am pissed and poo poo the meal!  It really feels good when you nail something though and you have the sense of accomplishment and everyone raves about it.  If it makes you feel any better I've screwed up many cooks my drinking and getting distracted.  If I had to do it all over again I would still drink.  I love the stuff

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• Yeah, haven't we all screwed up while imbibing! (See the thread Egging While Intoxicated) My favorite part of the ritual is lighting the coals and having an adult beverage while things get fired up.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    No worries. We all learn from experience. BTW, how big was the cocktail? maybe split it in 2 next time, so you have a built in check-point after the first one is downed :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Cymbaline65-I follow your practice of a supervisory adult beverage when firing up the BGE, then when the food goes on and as appropriate for the duration of the cook and beyond.  I have missed a few finish-lines but that comes with the territory. An occupational hazard/challenge I guess :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2013
    I'm sure it was still great.  To be honest I'm surprised how many people like their meat in that temp range.  I was beating myself up when I cooked a SRR for some friends but when I mentioned it later my buddy told me it was still a little rare for his taste. 

As far as the "when are we going to eat" question, I have just learned to answer that in degrees.  

How much longer until the meat is ready?
    About 35 more degrees. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Gentlemen: To answer everyone in no order of importance:

How big was the cocktail? Well, it was Bourbon flight of Makers, Wellers, Buffalo Trace and Angels Envy. Singe ice cube and a splash of water. Burp.

Best answer to hungry natives? If I answered 35 degrees, Smokey Pitt, SWMBO would throw a stapler at me. Best to leave that alone  [-X

Occupational hazard? Hmm, I would prefer "chefs prerogative."

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Sounds like a success to me - no one in this house will eat any rare meat.   I cooked one to 160 and it was great!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    nobody left hungry or thirsty did they???  mission accomplished...hell look where the Apollo program went and they were not perfect!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Copius amounts of cocktails. Can't taste the food and lose weight. It's hard to eat face down in your plate.... Or passed out on the lawn.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • No one left hungry or thirsty that is for sure.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    We are often are worse critics. I find I am even more so if I've had 3 or 5 or more. I'm learning to shut up and just say thank you when people are complimenting me instead of complaining about how it could have been/should have been better. The Mrs. knocked that one into my head last time I pulled that. If everybody is happy and eating, I'm happy. Must be doing something right, because people keep coming over and eating all my food. At least you redeemed yourself with the mahi mahi.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• You are correct, Griffin. I'm actually much less critical of my chow now than I used to be and if everyone is eating and cleaning their plates, then I should just accept that I got it right (even if I think I missed the mark.)

The Mahi was just simply EVOO, salt and pepper. What set it apart was the freshness. I spent top dollar for it at Whole Foods.

Seems we have folks over for dinner about every other weekend. We enjoy entertaining but not many reciprocate. Not sure how to read that but it seems that when we are invited over, I'm expected to bring something done on the Egg...

:-bd
    500 Posts: 3,177

Seems we have folks over for dinner about every other weekend. We enjoy entertaining but not many reciprocate. Not sure how to read that but it seems that when we are invited over, I'm expected to bring something done on the Egg...

We have good friends that are like this.  They love coming over for a craft cocktail and anything off the Egg, but they rarely ask us over.  I guess we are just that good.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • 500 said:

We have good friends that are like this.  They love coming over for a craft cocktail and anything off the Egg, but they rarely ask us over.  I guess we are just that good.
    I tell ya, although we seem to do all the work, the accolades (deserved or not) even things out. Now, off to conquer sous vide!