Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Times

I just got my XL BGE. I am a newbie for sure. I have done a lot of research on this forum and online and I can't seem to find a general list of suggested cooking times for each type of meat (i.e. chicken 12-15 min per pound, brisket ** - ** min per pound) I am aware of the temperatures that various meats need to be cooked to for health reasons but do knot know the approximate cooking times at various temps for planning purposes. Is anyone aware of a place  I can find a such as list that covers low and slow times per pound and other higher temps per pound for various dishes??? This would be a big help. I am looking forward to gaining experience with this type of cooking.
Palm City, FL

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Cooking times are related to temperature so we would need to know what temps you are cooking a protein to. Best not to leave it to chance and cook to temperature. Google Thermapen.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I have used this in the past to get a general idea of timing. http://meatsmokingcalculator.com

But just use this as a guide for planning and always cook to temp, each piece of neat is different.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Luvflt
    Luvflt Posts: 63

DMW - thanks for the info. All I needed was some ball bark ideas. I do have a Thermapen and the CyberQ WiFi so I know I can cook to the right temp. Just needed the other info for planning purposes. I am sure I will dial it in more in time.

Palm City, FL
  • DMW thanks for the link!
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Welcome to the lifestyle Luvflt!

That's a great question. I'll restate what others have already said, and what you acknowledge in your OP, that you should always cook to temp.

The calculator that @DMW posted is a good resource as is the search function on this forum. Whatever you're cooking, chances are you'll find multiple posts regarding cooking temps and times.

For short cooks (e.g., burgers, wings, spatchcock, pizza) it's pretty easy to judge how long your cook will take and the total cook time is not such a factor in your overall planning for a meal. You probably won't be off more than 10 or 15 minutes in most cases.

The tricky stuff is the longer low and slows. You'll see plenty of posts where those cooks took much less time than expected and some where it took longer. Here are a couple of things to consider for the longer cooks:

1. You can generally bump your cook temp to speed things along if necessary.
    2. Foiling, which I try to avoid, can help to speed up cook times.
    3. For briskets and pulled pork you should plan at least an hour for FTC time. The FTC time can be extended for 4-5 hours, if necessary, if a cook goes faster than expected.

Finally, it's a learning process that, hopefully, you'll enjoy and, in the process, gain confidence in your abilities to continually amaze your family and friends with the delicious food that you prepare on your egg. Once they come to expect such great results they won't mind waiting an extra hour or two for whatever it is your preparing! 
    ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

I'd suggest posting your pics sometime after your meal though as making everyone wait to eat for that is probably going a bit over the line!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    TOTN, Thanks for you input as well. I have been cooking for many years and have to admit that I am a little anal with respect to "dinner being served" in that when it is served everything is timed to all come out at the same time and to be hot. Nothing worse than cold food or having to nuke something to reheat it. I know there are always those time when the best laid plans go wrong but generally I try to shoot for everything being done when it needs to be done. Like you said it will take some time and experimentation to nail it but that will all be the fun part while the eating part will be just as much fun. Thanks for the tip on the photos as well. Good idea!!
    Palm City, FL
  • Luvflt said:
    TOTN, Thanks for you input as well. I have been cooking for many years and have to admit that I am a little anal with respect to "dinner being served" in that when it is served everything is timed to all come out at the same time and to be hot. Nothing worse than cold food or having to nuke something to reheat it. I know there are always those time when the best laid plans go wrong but generally I try to shoot for everything being done when it needs to be done. Like you said it will take some time and experimentation to nail it but that will all be the fun part while the eating part will be just as much fun. Thanks for the tip on the photos as well. Good idea!!
    That wasn't a tip... that's a requirement!  :D
    Thanks for the link!  I just like something to have me in a ballpark.  A value in my head so that I am not thinking about the variables. 

This would be nice to have within a phone app! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    if you increase dome temps by about 25 degrees for indirect setups, most oven roasting recipes are pretty close
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it